Adding "alias" command to shell

  • linksysslug
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2012
      Hey,
      While I'm still getting the hang of startup scripts, I thought I might as well just do stuff manually on every reboot. Unfortunately, the alias command doesn't appear to be installed, which makes this more of a chore than I'd like. Any way of adding this or is there a workaround? I just want to be able to SSH in, and type some simple commands to get privoxy running and kill some unneeded processes.

      I found mention of it on the wiki in some chat about uNSLUng 5.5 - was it removed since then?
    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2012
        You are probably using the default shell, which in order to save space
        is "ash". Install "bash" in the usual fashion, then invoke bash when
        you log in -- and you'll have at your disposal the "alias" command.
        -Mike (mwester)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2012
          Thanks. I found the following and it did the trick:

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Bash

          Ta.