Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Where to put this startup script?

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2012
      Yes...

      With unslung during boot up it looks in the /unslung folder as each system
      boot script is run.
      Some time ago, by trial and error approach, it was confirmed that for
      re-mounting some of the system drives you need to use a custom script in
      rc.bootbin rather than in one of the other boot scripts.

      So regarding the bootbin script, the first section of the system provided
      rc.bootbin will call and run your custom rc.bootbin located in /unslung.

      The last line of your custom rc.bootbin can be either 'return 0' which
      would abort the remainder of the system bootbin script or 'return 1' to
      run the remainder of the system bootbin.
      You should use 'return 1'

      Hence

      The first script line needs to be '#!/bin/sh' (or change it use a
      different shell)

      and

      the last script line needs to be 'return 1'

      In between these two line you place your custom script section (but suggest
      that you test it first before committing it to /unslung/rc.bootbin).

    • sirquijote@lavabit.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2012
        Thanks for the explanation. I'm beginning to come to grips with uNSLUng now.

        Just a couple of questions regarding the scripts. In yours, I notice you
        use "mkdir -p" when creating the "/var.state" file. By my understanding
        of "-p", isn't it redundant in that case? AFAIK its purpose is to
        automatically create non-existent folders specified in the input (eg.
        mkdir -p /1/2/3/4/var.state would create /3/4 if they didn't already
        exist).

        Also, what's the purpose of the var.state file? Both yours and the one in
        the wiki use it, but I can't determine its function.

        And, neither yours nor the script in the wiki seems to enable the writing
        of the contents of ramfs's logs on shutdown or reboot. How would I add
        that?

        Finally: why do both scripts unmount /mnt (or in your case, /mnt/tmpmnt)
        after creation? Seems counter-intuitive, but then like I say, I'm no
        script guru. ;)

      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2012
          Most of the scripting is taken from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit which I think is
          the first script to execute during boot up.
          Perhaps not all of the lines are actually needed, the original script
          section was written by the core unslung developers.

          If you want to save the contents of /var/log then I think two identical
          scripts are needed - /unslung/rc.halt and /unslung/rc.reboot to cover both
          shut down methods.
          Unsure of the best place to copy to, perhaps a folder in /opt or perhaps
          you could create a folder under /unslung

        • linksysslug
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2012
            Ok, it looks as though I should probably just look into a fresh, new script that replaces the one currently in the wiki, and adds the option to write the logs on reboot/shutdown. In the meantime, there doesn't seem to be too much log activity writing to my flash disk anyway, so I don't think there's the rush I thought there'd be.