Where to put this startup script?

  • Linksys Slug
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2012
      I'm following the advice here, re: reducing flash drive writes:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Ext3flash

      He doesn't mention where to save the script that moves /var/log and /dev into ram.  He says he's modified a similar script from here:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks

      That one says to put it in /etc/init.d/ with a symlink to here:

      cd /etc/rcS.d

      I can't find a /etc/rcS.d directory.  I have a /etc/rc.d, so I created the symlink there, but on reboot /var/log and /dev aren't in ram.  Anyone know where the symlink's supposed to go?

      I'm running uNSLUng latest with a boot flash drive in port 1.

      Also, does anyone know if Privoxy (which is the only thing I'm using the slug for) can run in the remaining memory?  The guy proposing the hack above is using Firefly with no problems, but I don't know how it compares in ram footprint.

    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2012
        1. Create a folder off of the system root called unslung (this folder may
        exist)

        2. Inside the unslung folder create a text file called rc.bootbin

        3. Flag the file as executable

        4. Then edit rc.bootbin with your move script. I have pasted the script
        that I use below, used with my unslung version 5.5 slug. You will need to
        tweak it a little for /var/log and perhaps may need some tweaks for later
        versions of unslung. Probably details in the wiki somewhere.

        #!/bin/sh
        # /unslung/rc.bootbin
        # Intended for unslung firmware 4.x and 5.5
        # Script section to create ramdisk for /var and /dev

        /bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /var:"
        /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=256
        /bin/cp -rp /var/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
        /bin/mkdir -p /var.state
        /bin/mount -o bind /var /var.state
        /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /var
        /bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt

        /bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /dev:"
        /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=128
        /bin/cp -rp /dev/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
        /bin/mkdir -p /dev.state
        /bin/mount -o bind /dev /dev.state
        /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /dev
        /bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt

        # Restart Logging Daemons
        /opt/bin/killall syslogd
        /opt/bin/killall klogd

        # Return and continue execution of system rc.
        return 1
        # EOF - include this line

        On 29 June 2012 01:17, Linksys Slug <linksysslug@...> wrote:

        > I'm following the advice here, re: reducing flash drive writes:
        >
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Ext3flash
        >
        > He doesn't mention where to save the script that moves /var/log and /dev
        > into ram. He says he's modified a similar script from here:
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
        >
        > That one says to put it in /etc/init.d/ with a symlink to here:
        >
        > cd /etc/rcS.d
        >
        > I can't find a /etc/rcS.d directory. I have a /etc/rc.d, so I created the
        > symlink there, but on reboot /var/log and /dev aren't in ram. Anyone know
        > where the symlink's supposed to go?
        >
        > I'm running uNSLUng latest with a boot flash drive in port 1.
        >
        > Also, does anyone know if Privoxy (which is the only thing I'm using the
        > slug for) can run in the remaining memory? The guy proposing the hack
        > above is using Firefly with no problems, but I don't know how it compares
        > in ram footprint.

      • linksysslug
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2012
          If I understand correctly, could I get away with simply moving the script I already have in rc.d, renaming it rc.bootbin and making it r-xr-x--? Or is there something amiss in the script I'm currently using that yours corrects? It's just, the less I have to think about the actual content of scripts the fewer headaches I get :)

          Ta :)

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...> wrote:

          > 1. Create a folder off of the system root called unslung (this folder may
          > exist)
          >
          > 2. Inside the unslung folder create a text file called rc.bootbin
          >
          > 3. Flag the file as executable
          >
          > 4. Then edit rc.bootbin with your move script. I have pasted the script
          > that I use below, used with my unslung version 5.5 slug. You will need to
          > tweak it a little for /var/log and perhaps may need some tweaks for later
          > versions of unslung. Probably details in the wiki somewhere.
          >

          > #!/bin/sh
          > # /unslung/rc.bootbin
          > # Intended for unslung firmware 4.x and 5.5
          > # Script section to create ramdisk for /var and /dev
          >
          > /bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /var:"
          > /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=256
          > /bin/cp -rp /var/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
          > /bin/mkdir -p /var.state
          > /bin/mount -o bind /var /var.state
          > /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /var
          > /bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt
          >
          > /bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /dev:"
          > /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=128
          > /bin/cp -rp /dev/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
          > /bin/mkdir -p /dev.state
          > /bin/mount -o bind /dev /dev.state
          > /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /dev
          > /bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt
          >
          > # Restart Logging Daemons
          > /opt/bin/killall syslogd
          > /opt/bin/killall klogd
          >
          > # Return and continue execution of system rc.
          > return 1
          > # EOF - include this line
          >

          > On 29 June 2012 01:17, Linksys Slug <linksysslug@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I'm following the advice here, re: reducing flash drive writes:
          > >
          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Ext3flash
          > >
          > > He doesn't mention where to save the script that moves /var/log and /dev
          > > into ram. He says he's modified a similar script from here:
          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
          > >
          > > That one says to put it in /etc/init.d/ with a symlink to here:
          > >
          > > cd /etc/rcS.d
          > >
          > > I can't find a /etc/rcS.d directory. I have a /etc/rc.d, so I created the
          > > symlink there, but on reboot /var/log and /dev aren't in ram. Anyone know
          > > where the symlink's supposed to go?
          > >
          > > I'm running uNSLUng latest with a boot flash drive in port 1.
          > >
          > > Also, does anyone know if Privoxy (which is the only thing I'm using the
          > > slug for) can run in the remaining memory? The guy proposing the hack
          > > above is using Firefly with no problems, but I don't know how it compares
          > > in ram footprint.

        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2012
            Yes...

            With unslung during boot up it looks in the /unslung folder as each system
            boot script is run.
            Some time ago, by trial and error approach, it was confirmed that for
            re-mounting some of the system drives you need to use a custom script in
            rc.bootbin rather than in one of the other boot scripts.

            So regarding the bootbin script, the first section of the system provided
            rc.bootbin will call and run your custom rc.bootbin located in /unslung.

            The last line of your custom rc.bootbin can be either 'return 0' which
            would abort the remainder of the system bootbin script or 'return 1' to
            run the remainder of the system bootbin.
            You should use 'return 1'

            Hence

            The first script line needs to be '#!/bin/sh' (or change it use a
            different shell)

            and

            the last script line needs to be 'return 1'

            In between these two line you place your custom script section (but suggest
            that you test it first before committing it to /unslung/rc.bootbin).

          • sirquijote@lavabit.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2012
              Thanks for the explanation. I'm beginning to come to grips with uNSLUng now.

              Just a couple of questions regarding the scripts. In yours, I notice you
              use "mkdir -p" when creating the "/var.state" file. By my understanding
              of "-p", isn't it redundant in that case? AFAIK its purpose is to
              automatically create non-existent folders specified in the input (eg.
              mkdir -p /1/2/3/4/var.state would create /3/4 if they didn't already
              exist).

              Also, what's the purpose of the var.state file? Both yours and the one in
              the wiki use it, but I can't determine its function.

              And, neither yours nor the script in the wiki seems to enable the writing
              of the contents of ramfs's logs on shutdown or reboot. How would I add
              that?

              Finally: why do both scripts unmount /mnt (or in your case, /mnt/tmpmnt)
              after creation? Seems counter-intuitive, but then like I say, I'm no
              script guru. ;)

            • Robert Hammond
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2012
                Most of the scripting is taken from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit which I think is
                the first script to execute during boot up.
                Perhaps not all of the lines are actually needed, the original script
                section was written by the core unslung developers.

                If you want to save the contents of /var/log then I think two identical
                scripts are needed - /unslung/rc.halt and /unslung/rc.reboot to cover both
                shut down methods.
                Unsure of the best place to copy to, perhaps a folder in /opt or perhaps
                you could create a folder under /unslung

              • linksysslug
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 8, 2012
                  Ok, it looks as though I should probably just look into a fresh, new script that replaces the one currently in the wiki, and adds the option to write the logs on reboot/shutdown. In the meantime, there doesn't seem to be too much log activity writing to my flash disk anyway, so I don't think there's the rush I thought there'd be.