Re: New Slug owner needs help

  • sirquijote@lavabit.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2012
      Thanks for getting back to me.

      I can confirm that I have already tried changing my private ip addresses
      to the 192.168 range. Just to confirm, I'm currently testing it again.
      My current ip address on this Mac is 192.168.1.x, as assigned by the DHCP
      on my router. The slug is plugged into the router, and both lights are
      solid green. But even so, i still can't connect to the slug.

      I've just tried pinging the slug on 192.168.1.77, and it does appear to be
      there. I'm very confused now :s Neither Google Chrome nor Safari want to
      connect to the slug. Safari immediately reports that it "can't connect to
      the server" whilst Chrome immediately says, "the server refused the
      connection (Error 102)".

      What could be the issue?

      > Your netmask is not going to be the problem. The problem will be if the
      > machine you are connecting from is not on the same subnet the slug is
      > configured for. On my router, I use an address of 172.31.253.1 and a
      > netmask of 255.255.0.0, which is fine when I want to connect to the
      > router...
      >
      > If for example your slug is 192.168.1.77 and your computer's IP address in
      > not also a 192.168.1.xx address, you won't be able to talk to the slug.
      > At least not until you manage to first connect to it and change it's
      > networking configuration to match the rest of your network.
      >
      > So in my example, if I were to connect the slug to my router, I would
      > temporarily change my laptop IP address to 192.168.1.76. I would then
      > login to the slug on 192.168.1.77, change it's address and netmask to
      > match my router. I would then need to change my laptop back to it's
      > normal ip address to connect to the slug again.
      >
      > Bill

    • rolandkbs
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2012
        So it looks like you found the correct IP, what's now missing is the right port for web server. Default is of course 80, but this can be changed in the WebInterface of the slug.
        I put my slugs all to port 8000, but 8080 might be worth a try too...

        If you are not sure if it's really the slug which answers on 192.168.1.77 I would install wireshark and filter for ip_src == 192.168.1.77.

        Regards
        Roland

      • sirquijote@lavabit.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2012
          That did it! Port 8080. And now that I'm in, it transpires that the slug
          is already running Unslung, something the seller omitted to disclose.

          Thanks Roland :D