New Slug owner needs help

  • y3k2b_le66.2ytu@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2012
      Hi
      I look forward to being a participant in this group in the future as I set up my second-hand Slug to take over proxy duties for my home network.
      However, at the moment, getting the wee bugger connected to the network would be a good start! :)
      I purchased it off eBay recently as being in full-working order, and it comes with only the original PSU. It passes its POST, and I'm confident the Cat6 cables I've used to connect it to my router (Airport Extreme Base Station) are working fine. But no matter what I do, I can't access the web management page on 192.168.1.77. Oh, I've tried pressing the reset button for two seconds to revert it back to the default IP address, too.
      I'm currently using 10.0.*.* as my LAN prefix, so I changed it to 192.168.*.*. Still can't access the slug. My friend thinks the problem might be that the subnet mask on the router is 255.255.252.0, whilst the slug wants 255.255.255.0. Is he right? If so, I'm running into the issue that the router is throwing up a hurdle when I try to change it to using 255.255.255.0.

      So, before I go any further: is my friend right in suggesting that the subnet mask mismatch is the problem? If he is, is there any way to modify the settings on the slug by connecting it directly to a computer with a Cat6 cable? I have a Mac Pro with OS X 10.6.8 and Windows 7 x64 Pro to use for that task if needs be.

      Help really would be appreciated, because if it turns out the slug is actually a dud I've got a limited time to ascertain this and file a claim for a refund.

      Thanks!!!! :))
    • sirquijote@lavabit.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2012
        Thanks for getting back to me.

        I can confirm that I have already tried changing my private ip addresses
        to the 192.168 range. Just to confirm, I'm currently testing it again.
        My current ip address on this Mac is 192.168.1.x, as assigned by the DHCP
        on my router. The slug is plugged into the router, and both lights are
        solid green. But even so, i still can't connect to the slug.

        I've just tried pinging the slug on 192.168.1.77, and it does appear to be
        there. I'm very confused now :s Neither Google Chrome nor Safari want to
        connect to the slug. Safari immediately reports that it "can't connect to
        the server" whilst Chrome immediately says, "the server refused the
        connection (Error 102)".

        What could be the issue?

        > Your netmask is not going to be the problem. The problem will be if the
        > machine you are connecting from is not on the same subnet the slug is
        > configured for. On my router, I use an address of 172.31.253.1 and a
        > netmask of 255.255.0.0, which is fine when I want to connect to the
        > router...
        >
        > If for example your slug is 192.168.1.77 and your computer's IP address in
        > not also a 192.168.1.xx address, you won't be able to talk to the slug.
        > At least not until you manage to first connect to it and change it's
        > networking configuration to match the rest of your network.
        >
        > So in my example, if I were to connect the slug to my router, I would
        > temporarily change my laptop IP address to 192.168.1.76. I would then
        > login to the slug on 192.168.1.77, change it's address and netmask to
        > match my router. I would then need to change my laptop back to it's
        > normal ip address to connect to the slug again.
        >
        > Bill

      • rolandkbs
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2012
          So it looks like you found the correct IP, what's now missing is the right port for web server. Default is of course 80, but this can be changed in the WebInterface of the slug.
          I put my slugs all to port 8000, but 8080 might be worth a try too...

          If you are not sure if it's really the slug which answers on 192.168.1.77 I would install wireshark and filter for ip_src == 192.168.1.77.

          Regards
          Roland

        • sirquijote@lavabit.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 27, 2012
            That did it! Port 8080. And now that I'm in, it transpires that the slug
            is already running Unslung, something the seller omitted to disclose.

            Thanks Roland :D