Project Status

  • W
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2012
      I'm a bit confused on the status of the optware project and was hoping for some clarification. From what I can tell, optware was originally created for the nslu2 project, so I figured this was the logical place to check.

      The instructions provided at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/PlugComputers were extremely helpful in getting optware/ipkg installed on my PogoPlug.

      One thing I don't understand, is the difference between optware and ipkg. The documentation on the page I listed above says "To install Optware, you need to install ipkg. IPKG is the installer for Optware."

      1) Is Optware just the name of the process described on that page? Like, to install ipkg, add a mirror, and install software is, in essence, "optware"? As far as I can tell, ipkg is the actual package manager.

      I was curious about ipkg , and found an article on Wikipedia saying that "The development for this project has discontinued. Many projects which formerly used ipkg have adopted the ipkg fork opkg for a replacement."

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipkg

      So I looked into opkg, and it seems like it was forked primarily the OpenMoko project, which now seems defunct in itself.

      If I look at the mirror for ipkg I see recent time stamps. http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/, and it looks like nslu2 still has an active community.

      2) So...are these wikipedia articles totally inaccurate and optware/ipkg development still in progress?

      3) or is it that ipkg is no longer actively developed, but packages are still being compiled that can be used with ipkg

      Sorry for the confusion, and if the answers to my questions are out there and I'm just not seeing them. Thanks for all the work on this project
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14, 2012
        ipkg is the name of the package manager. It was used and has been used by a lot of projects. Optware is one of the projects that uses ipkg.

        The development of ipkg itself is not active. But optware is still semi-active.

        The name of optware originated from the fact that by default all files got installed under /opt. This is to avoid conflicting with firmware files on devices. To me, optware project is about the following:

        * Have re-usable cross compilation recipes (make files and patch files) so binary ipkg's can be built/rebuilt for various devices (different architectures and different libc, toolchains);
        * Infrastructure to auto-build selected feeds whenever recipe changes;
        * Infrastructure to host and mirror the feeds.

        The latter two makes it possible that end users can easily install binary packages.

        I said "semi-active" because all people in the project work at their spare time, and there're often times where family, work need to come first.

        Hope this helps,

        -Brian

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14, 2012
          Thank you for the explanation Brian. The distinctions between ipkg and Optware are more clear to me know, and I'm glad to hear the Optware project is at least still semi-active. Thanks again to you and everyone for your work on Optware