Re: AFP CNID DB error

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2012
      The start scripts were copied from the previous section so you don't really need the return. I actually made 1 script that takes care of loading dbus, avahi, and afpd. It would help if you actually paste the actual errors. You shouldn't have to make lock files since that tends to keep things from working, the application should. Here's mine:
      # ls -l /opt/var/lock
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4 Mar 13 23:31 afpd

      You can ln -s /opt/var /var and mkdir /opt/var/lock

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "adamant628" <adam.suhy@...> wrote:

      > I added the line as you wrote it. I added a space to the end of the line currently there options: something,something cnidscheme:cdb
      >
      > Alas, it did not seem to work!
      >
      > Some other potentially relevant notes:
      > when I run my start up scripts, I get messages from avahi and afpd: line 5: return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script. The line in question simply returns "1". I assume this doesn't actually hinder the operation of the script, however.
      >
      > also, running the afpd script returns another error about accessing /var/lock/afpd
      > I correct this one by using "mkdir /var/lock" and "touch /var/lock/afpd" in the start up script. I am not sure if this solves the problem, or just puts a bandaid on the error message.
      >
      > Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully I am just doing something wrong and it is easily solveable.
      >
      > Adam
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "kradziwon" <kradziwon@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I ran into the same problem and it turned out to be that the cnidscheme had to be set for each share at the end of the AppleVolumes.default configuration. The easiest way to do this is to add it to the default configuration. Search for:
      > >
      > > :DEFAULT:
      > >
      > > and add the following to that line:
      > >
      > > cnidscheme:cdb
      > >
      > > Restart afpd and it should be fine.
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "adamant628" <adam.suhy@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thank you all for your help with my previous issues. Bill was able to set me straight with the swap files.
      > > >
      > > > Now, I am trying to set up AFP on my pogoplug for timemachine functionality. I followed the how-to: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TimeMachineBackups to the letter. I now see the timemachine drive in my shared drive on my mac, and I am able to connect. However, when I connect and attempt to access the drive, I get an error about my CNID DB, and it is using a temporary CNID DB.
      > > >
      > > > The disk is ext3 formatted.
      > > >
      > > > I found some threads on other sites about checking the AppleVolumes.default file, but I wasn't really sure what I was looking for, plus everything is commented out, so I'm not sure how that would help, unless it is just read by another script? These are the only mention of CNID in that file:
      > > >
      > > > # cnidserver:server[:port]
      > > > # -> Query this servername or IP address
      > > > # (default:localhost) and port (default: 4700)
      > > > # for CNIDs. Only used with CNID backend "dbd".
      > > > # This option here overrides any setting from
      > > > # afpd.conf:cnidserver.
      > > > # password:password -> set a volume password (8 characters max)
      > > > # cnidscheme:scheme -> set the cnid scheme for the volume,
      > > > # default is [dbd]
      > > > # available schemes: [dbd last tdb]
      > > >
      > > > and again a few lines lower:
      > > >

      > > > # nocnidcache -> Don't store and read CNID to/from AppleDouble file.
      > > > # This should not be used as it also prevents a CNID
      > > > # database rebuild with `dbd`!
      > > >
      > > > Hope you can help! Thanks.

    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2012

        Copy and pasting screen output would help. I get pretty informative messages with syslog. Busybox has a no brainer one built in. Instruction are at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/PlugComputers "Setting up Syslogd"

        > I am running Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

        Same as some of my machines.

        > My netatalk.conf file does include the line:
        > CNID_METAD_RUN=yes

        Cool.