Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Raspberry Pi?

  • Ralph Finch
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13 9:52 PM
      For the case, this looks interesting
      http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1240-3D-Print-a-Case-for-the-Raspberry-Pi.html

      I only use a couple of USB flash drives with my NSLU2 to reduce power
      consumption (I do have external drives on my PC for backup). I like the
      NSLU2 but am always on the lookup for a worthy replacement. I'll look for
      the MV2120.

      On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM, michael_peter_thompson <
      michael.p.thompson@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Probably like many people, I've got two RPis order so we'll find out in
      > the next month or two when they ship.
      >
      > Although a very interesting device for its intended educational purpose,
      > the Raspberry Pi will have a few strikes going against it as a replacement
      > for the NSLU2 with regards to being NAS. First, for the time being, it
      > doesn't ship with a case and it's a bit vulnerable being naked. Also, from
      > information in the RPi forums, it doesn't look like its USB ports will
      > deliver enough current to power a 2.5" USB hard drive whereas the NSLU2
      > can.
      >
      > Although my NSLU2 is still plugged in and I log in occasionally for old
      > times sake, all of it's functionality has moved onto a MV2120 running
      > Debian ARM. It consumes a bit more power than the NSLU2, but my backup
      > needs have evolved beyond what the NSLU2 could handle and the MV2120 is a
      > worthy replacement. I was able to pick my used MV2120 off eBay for less
      > than $20 which is a steal. It's just a shame hard disk prices have spiked
      > so high.
      >
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Finch <ralphmariafinch@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Could the Raspberry Pi <http://www.raspberrypi.org/> be a worthy
      >
      > > replacement for our NSLU2? That is, as a low-power but capable 24/7 Linux
      > > server, not as a NAS device though it seems it could do that too.

    • Fajar A. Nugraha
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13 10:16 PM
        On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Ralph Finch <ralphmariafinch@...> wrote:
        > For the case, this looks interesting
        > http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1240-3D-Print-a-Case-for-the-Raspberry-Pi.html

        Yes. It'd be great if you can have the complete package for less than $50.

        It'd be even better if the pi could use allwiner a10 (1.2 GHz for $7 :
        http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/ ) instead of the 700-Mhz
        broadcom. One can only hope :)

        --
        Fajar