Re: Raspberry Pi?

  • michael_peter_thompson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
      Probably like many people, I've got two RPis order so we'll find out in the next month or two when they ship.

      Although a very interesting device for its intended educational purpose, the Raspberry Pi will have a few strikes going against it as a replacement for the NSLU2 with regards to being NAS. First, for the time being, it doesn't ship with a case and it's a bit vulnerable being naked. Also, from information in the RPi forums, it doesn't look like its USB ports will deliver enough current to power a 2.5" USB hard drive whereas the NSLU2 can.

      Although my NSLU2 is still plugged in and I log in occasionally for old times sake, all of it's functionality has moved onto a MV2120 running Debian ARM. It consumes a bit more power than the NSLU2, but my backup needs have evolved beyond what the NSLU2 could handle and the MV2120 is a worthy replacement. I was able to pick my used MV2120 off eBay for less than $20 which is a steal. It's just a shame hard disk prices have spiked so high.

      Mike

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Finch <ralphmariafinch@...> wrote:

      > Could the Raspberry Pi <http://www.raspberrypi.org/> be a worthy
      > replacement for our NSLU2? That is, as a low-power but capable 24/7 Linux
      > server, not as a NAS device though it seems it could do that too.
    • Ralph Finch
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
        For the case, this looks interesting
        http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1240-3D-Print-a-Case-for-the-Raspberry-Pi.html

        I only use a couple of USB flash drives with my NSLU2 to reduce power
        consumption (I do have external drives on my PC for backup). I like the
        NSLU2 but am always on the lookup for a worthy replacement. I'll look for
        the MV2120.

        On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM, michael_peter_thompson <
        michael.p.thompson@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Probably like many people, I've got two RPis order so we'll find out in
        > the next month or two when they ship.
        >
        > Although a very interesting device for its intended educational purpose,
        > the Raspberry Pi will have a few strikes going against it as a replacement
        > for the NSLU2 with regards to being NAS. First, for the time being, it
        > doesn't ship with a case and it's a bit vulnerable being naked. Also, from
        > information in the RPi forums, it doesn't look like its USB ports will
        > deliver enough current to power a 2.5" USB hard drive whereas the NSLU2
        > can.
        >
        > Although my NSLU2 is still plugged in and I log in occasionally for old
        > times sake, all of it's functionality has moved onto a MV2120 running
        > Debian ARM. It consumes a bit more power than the NSLU2, but my backup
        > needs have evolved beyond what the NSLU2 could handle and the MV2120 is a
        > worthy replacement. I was able to pick my used MV2120 off eBay for less
        > than $20 which is a steal. It's just a shame hard disk prices have spiked
        > so high.
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Finch <ralphmariafinch@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Could the Raspberry Pi <http://www.raspberrypi.org/> be a worthy
        >
        > > replacement for our NSLU2? That is, as a low-power but capable 24/7 Linux
        > > server, not as a NAS device though it seems it could do that too.

      • Fajar A. Nugraha
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
          On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Ralph Finch <ralphmariafinch@...> wrote:
          > For the case, this looks interesting
          > http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1240-3D-Print-a-Case-for-the-Raspberry-Pi.html

          Yes. It'd be great if you can have the complete package for less than $50.

          It'd be even better if the pi could use allwiner a10 (1.2 GHz for $7 :
          http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/ ) instead of the 700-Mhz
          broadcom. One can only hope :)

          --
          Fajar