Raspberry Pi?

  • Ralph Finch
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
      Could the Raspberry Pi <http://www.raspberrypi.org/> be a worthy
      replacement for our NSLU2? That is, as a low-power but capable 24/7 Linux
      server, not as a NAS device though it seems it could do that too.

    • michael_peter_thompson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
        Probably like many people, I've got two RPis order so we'll find out in the next month or two when they ship.

        Although a very interesting device for its intended educational purpose, the Raspberry Pi will have a few strikes going against it as a replacement for the NSLU2 with regards to being NAS. First, for the time being, it doesn't ship with a case and it's a bit vulnerable being naked. Also, from information in the RPi forums, it doesn't look like its USB ports will deliver enough current to power a 2.5" USB hard drive whereas the NSLU2 can.

        Although my NSLU2 is still plugged in and I log in occasionally for old times sake, all of it's functionality has moved onto a MV2120 running Debian ARM. It consumes a bit more power than the NSLU2, but my backup needs have evolved beyond what the NSLU2 could handle and the MV2120 is a worthy replacement. I was able to pick my used MV2120 off eBay for less than $20 which is a steal. It's just a shame hard disk prices have spiked so high.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
          For the case, this looks interesting
          http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1240-3D-Print-a-Case-for-the-Raspberry-Pi.html

          I only use a couple of USB flash drives with my NSLU2 to reduce power
          consumption (I do have external drives on my PC for backup). I like the
          NSLU2 but am always on the lookup for a worthy replacement. I'll look for
          the MV2120.

          On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM, michael_peter_thompson <
          michael.p.thompson@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Probably like many people, I've got two RPis order so we'll find out in
          > the next month or two when they ship.
          >
          > Although a very interesting device for its intended educational purpose,
          > the Raspberry Pi will have a few strikes going against it as a replacement
          > for the NSLU2 with regards to being NAS. First, for the time being, it
          > doesn't ship with a case and it's a bit vulnerable being naked. Also, from
          > information in the RPi forums, it doesn't look like its USB ports will
          > deliver enough current to power a 2.5" USB hard drive whereas the NSLU2
          > can.
          >
          > Although my NSLU2 is still plugged in and I log in occasionally for old
          > times sake, all of it's functionality has moved onto a MV2120 running
          > Debian ARM. It consumes a bit more power than the NSLU2, but my backup
          > needs have evolved beyond what the NSLU2 could handle and the MV2120 is a
          > worthy replacement. I was able to pick my used MV2120 off eBay for less
          > than $20 which is a steal. It's just a shame hard disk prices have spiked
          > so high.
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Finch <ralphmariafinch@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Could the Raspberry Pi <http://www.raspberrypi.org/> be a worthy
          >
          > > replacement for our NSLU2? That is, as a low-power but capable 24/7 Linux
          > > server, not as a NAS device though it seems it could do that too.

        • Fajar A. Nugraha
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
            On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Ralph Finch <ralphmariafinch@...> wrote:
            > For the case, this looks interesting
            > http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1240-3D-Print-a-Case-for-the-Raspberry-Pi.html

            Yes. It'd be great if you can have the complete package for less than $50.

            It'd be even better if the pi could use allwiner a10 (1.2 GHz for $7 :
            http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/ ) instead of the 700-Mhz
            broadcom. One can only hope :)

            --
            Fajar