Re: Basic Setup Help

  • geoffrey_greenberg
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...> wrote:

      > You mean directly inside "My Network Places", or "View workgroup
      > computers" in the sidebar?

      I can see the networked drive on two separate branches:

      My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Nwtwork\Workgroup\LKG7CDC26

      or

      My Network Places\Computers Near Me\LKG7CDC26

      I think you are right - there must be a stale reference - I know it works because I can map
      the drive using the Tools>Map Network Drive approach. But I would like to know how to
      setup the IP address on the network icon properly. Every time I try to do anything with the
      disk icon it just seems to give me that error message. I'm not sure how to reset to the
      correct IP address.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks again
      Geoff

      > If you're clicking on the icon inside "My Network Places" and getting that
      > error, you probably have a stale reference to the NSLU2. Did you change
      > the IP address? The shortcuts inside the folder stay around even when the
      > machine isn't on, so you need to drill down into "View workgroup computers"
      > to see what's actually available.
      >
      > - Tim
    • Tim Lewis
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 22, 2005
        geoffrey_greenberg wrote:

        > I can see the networked drive on two separate branches:

        And the NSLU2 and your computer are definitely in the same workgroup?

        > I think you are right - there must be a stale reference - I know it works because I can map
        > the drive using the Tools>Map Network Drive approach.

        There's a method for doing this, but I was unable to locate a page explaining
        it. :( Try this, in lieu of an real explanation...

        Try disabling your network connection, and then enabling it. I can't remember
        if Windows 2000 has that ability. That usually fixes up many networking issues.

        If that doesn't work, try rebooting and see if that clears it up.

        And if that doesn't work, try changing the workgroup of both machines. I seem
        to remember that this solved a similar issue I had. Eventually you can change
        them back after Windows flushes whatever internal cache it's storage names in.

        > But I would like to know how to
        > setup the IP address on the network icon properly.

        Is there another icon there with the new name, or still the old one?

        - Tim