netatalk/afp/avahi/lion woes

  • cohenjonathand
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2011
      I'm maintaining a unslung/optware slug as my dad's backup server for his Mac laptops. It's been running great for a few years (both before and including the Time Machine era). With OSX Lion, it seemed I would have to upgrade netatalk from 2.0 to 2.2 to get compatibility with the latest protocols. So I dove in with "ipkg upgrade". Now I'm in a world of hurt... (I have spent some hours looking through man pages, fixing config files, etc., so now I'm seeking a group consult)

      First, it seems that the upgrade nuked some of my netatalk-related config files. I think I have pretty much recovered from that.

      Second, I am having trouble with afpd. The client can mount my remote directory, but when he lists the files, the server logfile reports:

      Dec 28 01:20:57 xxxxxxxx daemon.err afpd[1164]: tsock_getfd: getaddrinfo: CNID server localhost:4700 : Bad value for ai_flags
      Dec 28 01:20:57 xxxxxxxx daemon.err afpd[1164]: transmit: Request to dbd daemon (db_dir /data/TimeMachine) timed out.
      Dec 28 01:20:57 xxxxxxxx daemon.err afpd[1164]: Reopen volume /data/TimeMachine using in memory temporary CNID DB.

      I understand this failure is very bad and can lead to corruption, especially when multiple hosts are connecting. Interestingly, some investigation taught me that I now have to run cnid_metad before I can run afpd (so I can use dbd). Running this additional daemon did not change the error message, however. Some google searches imply that this error could possibly indicate a build error in the netatalk package.

      Third, I am having trouble with avahi. I get the following message:

      Dec 27 20:37:12 xxxxxxxx daemon.err avahi-daemon[440]: dbus_bus_get_private(): Failed to connect to socket /opt/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Permission denied

      There is a dbus process running, and I have tried manually restarting it. I'm not sure that avahi is strictly necessary to make Time Machine work -- it may be possible to just specify the IP address and mount point so long as afp is working reliably. I've also seen some web pages indicating that the latest netatalk can advertise the server without avahi anyway?

      Any thoughts or assistance? I assume it would be a bad idea for my dad to start running Time Machine with the afp mount running in this sort of crippled mode (tdb?)...

      Thanks in advance.

      Jon