Thinking my dockstar is bricked---power surge???

  • bruce turrie
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
      So, I can't ssh into my dockstar, I can't even ping it. We've had a few power hits lately but the dockstar was on UPS. The light on the front turns solid green, after a reset, but its not reachable.

      I had been running the original openpogo software and the flash drive seems okay. I've tried accessing the dockstar with and without the flash drive inserted. I've changed network cables, and I've moved the dockstar to a port on a different switch. Am I missing anything else worth trying?

    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
        Well Bruce,
        If it is fried, its kinda strange to have a solid green light. If you unplug it without the flash drive (so it does not get corrupted) and with the network disconnected, does it still come up with a solid green light? If it does not, then you ruled out the boot process and the network interface. Then it may have changed IP address (I'm assuming you are still running the native udhcpc and not placed a fixed IP), which is why you cannot ping or use ssh. You also may have just been updated by Cloud Engines with the new firmware for large drives (like the pro) and need to use their interface to re-setup ssh access.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, bruce turrie <bturrie@...> wrote:

        > So, I can't ssh into my dockstar, I can't even ping it. We've had a few power hits lately but the dockstar was on UPS. The light on the front turns solid green, after a reset, but its not reachable.
        >
        > I had been running the original openpogo software and the flash drive seems okay. I've tried accessing the dockstar with and without the flash drive inserted. I've changed network cables, and I've moved the dockstar to a port on a different switch. Am I missing anything else worth trying?

      • twinclouds
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
          I don't have any suggestions what should be done further.  I guess the only way to find out is to use CA-42 serial cable.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
            Thanks for the quick reply, I'm feeling like an idiot though. I suspected I'd missed something simple when I wrote my first note. It turned out that when I booted without the flash drive and without the network, the light didn't go green so you were on the right track with your suggestions.

            It occurred to me that I hadn't looked for the mac number in my router. When I did, I saw the new IP address.  I thought had given it a fixed IP address but I must not have. I'm going to give it a fixed address before I start using it again, that or remember that it might change at some point.. Thanks again for the quick response.

            Bruce

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2011
              Hello Bruce,
              Make sure to put your ifconfig after udhcpc in rcS. Just as a reminder, if you use the stock kernel, it takes work to get the solid green light (from flashing green, flashing yellow/orange before that). So to get solid green = uboot->kernel->etc->CE custom dropbear(the back door)->hbmgr.sh->which loads hbwd->xce.ko->talk to the mother ship. Just for kicks, do "uname -a" and see if kernel changed from 2.6.22.18 (they were threatening to send out silent updates but I locked them out so I don't know).