Re: [nslu2-general] How can I gain full access to NSLU2 formatted drive when connnecting it directly to a LinuxPC

  • Sledge Hammer
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
      Skip my last reply. I am in as root and now can write to the NSLU2 drive.

      Next stupid question.... Is there a way to make my origional account able to write to this drive without having to login as root?

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
        On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Sledge Hammer
        <sledgebeast@...> wrote:
        > OK
        >
        > In terminal I typed gksu nautilus.... Now what.

        Did a new nautilus (a.k.a "file manager") window show up?

        > I still cant write to the External Hard Drive. Is what your telling me to do only the first step or what?

        You should. Since the nautilus you opened has root privileges. But
        only in that particular window.

        > Theres got to be more to it.
        > I would assume the drive has access rights created by the NSLU2 that are preventing me from mounting the drive read/write.

        That's what "gksu" is for.

        There are cases when a drive is force-mounted read-only, like when it
        has unrecoverable errors. I can't think of any "newbie-friendly" way
        to test or fix it though. My best advice at this point:
        - make sure you try the operation (copy, etc.) from the gksu-ed
        window, not from your normal nautilus window
        - type "mount" from your terminal window, make sure the drive is not
        mounted read-only for some reason. And make sure it's ext3 (instead of
        some read-only fileystem like squashfs or whatever)
        - get your local linux expert (or at least, someone who knows about
        filesystems and permissions) to help

        --
        Fajar
      • Fajar A. Nugraha
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
          On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Sledge Hammer
          <sledgebeast@...> wrote:
          > Skip my last reply. I am in as root and now can write to the NSLU2 drive.
          >
          > Next stupid question.... Is there a way to make my origional account able to write to this drive without having to login as root?

          Yes, but it's not recommended.

          See:
          - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_permission
          - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chown
          - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod

          a relatively "safe" way (maybe. I never tested it on nslu) is to run
          chown or chmod only on the directory you're interested in. Something
          like:
          - chown -R your_username /media/nslu-drive/path/to/where/your/folders/will/be
          - chmod -R 777 /media/nslu-drive/path/to/where/your/folders/will/be

          The key here is to ONLY change owner or permission of a particular
          folder, NOT the whole nslu drive.

          --
          Fajar