[nslu2-general] How can I gain full access to NSLU2 formatted drive when connnecting it directly to a LinuxPC

  • sledgebeast
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
      I have a stock NSLU2 V2.3R63 Formatted drive. EXT3

      I want to be able to take that drive and connect it directly to my PC to
      copy a large batch of files.
      However when I plug it to my Linux box I only have READ access. I cannot
      create folders and files.
      Those menu choices are grey'd out.
      Coping 300 gigs of music and photo's thru the network is gruelingly SLOW!
      I am running UBUNTU 10.4
      I am a novice when it comes to issuing commands in Linux. So any help would
      be appreciated.

      p.s.

      I know there is a newer firmware version and that its hard to find. Do I
      really need it.
      Does it fix anything I should be concerned with. I am simply using the NSLU2
      as a NAS
      to serve my media content to an HTPC in my Living Room using W7MCE.
      I want menu driven control of the NSLU2 so am not really looking to change
      firmware to
      unslung or any of that other stuff at this point.
    • Fajar A. Nugraha
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
        On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM, sledgebeast <sledgebeast@...> wrote:
        > I am a novice when it comes to issuing commands in Linux

        That seems to be your main problem. I assume you're using GUI. Either:
        - login as root (if you've set the password), or
        - open terminal (menu -> accessories -> terminal), type "gksu nautilus"

        --
        Fajar
      • Sledge Hammer
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
          OK

          In terminal I typed gksu nautilus.... Now what. I still cant write to the External Hard Drive. Is what your telling me to do only the first step or what?
          Theres got to be more to it.
          I would assume the drive has access rights created by the NSLU2 that are preventing me from mounting the drive read/write.

          I am logged into UBUNTU with my administrator account. I have full access. Just not on the NSLU2 formatted hard drive.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
            Skip my last reply. I am in as root and now can write to the NSLU2 drive.

            Next stupid question.... Is there a way to make my origional account able to write to this drive without having to login as root?

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
              On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Sledge Hammer
              <sledgebeast@...> wrote:
              > OK
              >
              > In terminal I typed gksu nautilus.... Now what.

              Did a new nautilus (a.k.a "file manager") window show up?

              > I still cant write to the External Hard Drive. Is what your telling me to do only the first step or what?

              You should. Since the nautilus you opened has root privileges. But
              only in that particular window.

              > Theres got to be more to it.
              > I would assume the drive has access rights created by the NSLU2 that are preventing me from mounting the drive read/write.

              That's what "gksu" is for.

              There are cases when a drive is force-mounted read-only, like when it
              has unrecoverable errors. I can't think of any "newbie-friendly" way
              to test or fix it though. My best advice at this point:
              - make sure you try the operation (copy, etc.) from the gksu-ed
              window, not from your normal nautilus window
              - type "mount" from your terminal window, make sure the drive is not
              mounted read-only for some reason. And make sure it's ext3 (instead of
              some read-only fileystem like squashfs or whatever)
              - get your local linux expert (or at least, someone who knows about
              filesystems and permissions) to help

              --
              Fajar
            • Fajar A. Nugraha
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
                On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Sledge Hammer
                <sledgebeast@...> wrote:
                > Skip my last reply. I am in as root and now can write to the NSLU2 drive.
                >
                > Next stupid question.... Is there a way to make my origional account able to write to this drive without having to login as root?

                Yes, but it's not recommended.

                See:
                - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_permission
                - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chown
                - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod

                a relatively "safe" way (maybe. I never tested it on nslu) is to run
                chown or chmod only on the directory you're interested in. Something
                like:
                - chown -R your_username /media/nslu-drive/path/to/where/your/folders/will/be
                - chmod -R 777 /media/nslu-drive/path/to/where/your/folders/will/be

                The key here is to ONLY change owner or permission of a particular
                folder, NOT the whole nslu drive.

                --
                Fajar