Re: Unable to download large files (+1GB) via web interface.

  • Loek Sluijter
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
      Mike,
      This is not a limitation of NSLU2, but this is a standard HTTP limit: max 1GB. Use another method, like FTP or SAMBA to transfer files larger than 1GB.

      Loek Sluijter

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "raheny99" <raheny99@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I browse to the NSLU web portal and then to the network share and drill down to the avi or mp4 movie file I want. A long click on the chosen file and then I select `Save Link' and then OK to `Save as:'
      >
      > Most times this results in the movie file downloading onto the tablet. Most files copy down onto the table just fine, but as I've started to do this more often in recent weeks (grab a movie to watch in bed on the tablet or when commuting) I've begun to encounter the following issue.
      >
      > After I select Save As.
      >
      > The next screen displays:
      >
      > Download History
      >
      > <Unknown>
      > 192.168.1.77
      > Download unsuccessful.
      >
      > And I'm left with a 1KB file. This appears to happen only with files over 1GB, other movie files I have are 700-900MB and download fine.
      >
      > I manage the content of the HD through Nautilus 2.32 on a Linux netbook and for the most part the drive is used as a samba server delivering content wirelessly to an XBMC Live setup. It has been performing this task flawlessly for nearly a year now.
      >
      > However on my android tablet I have to browse to the web interface for the NSLU and from there onto the shares in order to copy a movie onto the tablet. I have do it this way on the tablet as Android is unable to authenticate to the NSLU shares through ES File Share or Astro file manager or any other SMB app I've tried on the tablet.
      >
      > I think this is due to the fact I do not know the user password for the disk, I am not asked for this on any other PC I have but on the tablet the login prompt ALWAYS appears. I cannot create a new user account on the NSLU as the two 1TB drives attached are formatted as FAT32 and each is nearly half full, so I'm not reformatting them to EXT3 just to be able to create a new user on the NSLU.
      >
      > As I said most files copy down onto the tablet just fine, I've only discovered this issue in the last few weeks as I've started to use the tablet more for watching movies.
      >
      > Some basic troubleshooting steps I've done myself have been to try replicating this with other browsers and on different devices and OS. So far I have replicated this issue on the Tablet with the following browsers:
      >
      > Android stock browser,
      > Dolphin,
      > Skyfire,
      > Firefox,
      > Opera (does not offer "Save Link" option).
      >
      > I have also replicated it under Linuxmint 10 using:
      > Chrome
      > Firefox
      >
      > And also under Windows 7 using:
      > Chrome
      > IE9
      >
      > This would lead me to conclude that there is a limit to the file size one can copy from the web interface of the NSLU?
      >
      > Can anyone shed light on this or give a definitive answer, and if so can this be worked around or altered.

    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 23, 2011
        I believe the limit varies from server to server and even browser to browser. But, in the case of NSlU2 that is probably the web server limit. In any case the suggestion presented by Loek is correct. That is why I mentioned Samba3 earlier, instead of the current Samba. Which will probably take care of the SMB connect problems:

        > However on my android tablet I have to browse to the web interface for the
        NSLU and from there onto the shares in order to copy a movie onto the tablet. I
        have do it this way on the tablet as Android is unable to authenticate to the
        NSLU shares through ES File Share or Astro file manager or any other SMB app
        I've tried on the tablet.

        (unless your running any Win 98 boxes...nah).

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Loek Sluijter" <lsluijter@...> wrote:

        > Mike,
        > This is not a limitation of NSLU2, but this is a standard HTTP limit: max 1GB. Use another method, like FTP or SAMBA to transfer files larger than 1GB.
        >
        > Loek Sluijter

      • raheny99
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 24, 2011
          Gents,

          With further delving into the workings of Astro file manager I found some advanced settings. By adding the two property keys below to the samba connection the Android tablet can now connect to the share without requiring authentication.

          Key: jcifs.smb.ImCompatibility
          Value: 0

          Key: jcifs.smb.client.useExtendedSecurity
          Value: false

          Problem solved!!!

          Many thanks for your assistance with this, and to Loek for clarifying the root cause.

          Regards,

          Mike