Re: Unable to download large files (+1GB) via web interface.

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
      He's not running SlugOS. He is using Unslung maybe 6.10-beta if he has been updating which corresponds to Linksys V2.3R63 firmware. If I remember (which has been a while and I'm not good at it), I did have problems with large file transfers with that so I tried the Stock v2.3R76 (v2.3R73 was still messing up) under the files section of this group and was able to transfer an 80 Gb disk image file to an NTFS formatted drive that took over a day. Of course, the other possibilities are to install either some other firmware like Debian, SlugOS, or OpenWrt with Samba3 (Samba2 had issues). To get it all into firmware so that you can use non-ext drives on both ports, you could do a minimal install of OpenWrt with Samba. Or, add a hub with the other distro firmware on a USB stick.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm. I wasn't even aware slugOS has a web interface. I use Debian on my NSLU2, but I do have some of the packages on my router. No web interface however. I would suggest trying another transfer protocol to transfer files. The actual limit for FAT32 is 4GiB files, so you aren't hitting a file system limit. Some programs have bugs at the 2GiB limit because the used signed instead of unsigned integers to keep track of the position in file. I don't know of any limits that hit at 1GiB, but that is not to say they don't exist. Typically the code for a web-interface is the least tested, so that is where you are most likely to find a bug.
      >
      > Bill
    • Eric Peterson
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        He's not running SlugOS. He is using Unslung maybe 6.10-beta if he has been updating which corresponds to Linksys V2.3R63 firmware. If I remember (which has been a while and I'm not good at it), I did have problems with large file transfers with that so I tried the Stock v2.3R76 (v2.3R73 was still messing up) under the files section of this group and was able to transfer an 80 Gb disk image file to an NTFS formatted drive that took over a day. Of course, the other possibilities are to install either some other firmware like Debian, SlugOS, or OpenWrt with Samba3 (Samba2 had issues). To get it all into firmware so that you can use non-ext drives on both ports, you could do a minimal install of OpenWrt with Samba. Or, add a hub with the other distro firmware on a USB stick.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Hmmm. I wasn't even aware slugOS has a web interface. I use Debian on my NSLU2, but I do have some of the packages on my router. No web interface however. I would suggest trying another transfer protocol to transfer files. The actual limit for FAT32 is 4GiB files, so you aren't hitting a file system limit. Some programs have bugs at the 2GiB limit because the used signed instead of unsigned integers to keep track of the position in file. I don't know of any limits that hit at 1GiB, but that is not to say they don't exist. Typically the code for a web-interface is the least tested, so that is where you are most likely to find a bug.
        >
        > Bill

      • raheny99
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011

          Oddballhero is correct, sorry I should have included that info with my original post, The slug is running V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta.

          As mentioned its performing flawlessly to my main XBMC Live PC so I really don't want to mess with it much.

          With RE: to your suggestions of adding a hub with another distro firmware on a USB stick... I feel this problem isn't so big a bump in the road as to merit that much investment, but it is never the less a good option.

          Currently when I encounter this issue I just take the micro SD card out of the tablet and use an adapter to connect it to another PC and copy the movie onto the SD card directly. Its not as seamless or harmonious but it works.

          I just wondered if any minds on here brighter than mine had encountered this 'issue' in the past or knew of the actual operating specs of the NSLU and perhaps had resolved or formulated a work around solution more elegant than mine.

          Mike.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:

          > He's not running SlugOS. He is using Unslung maybe 6.10-beta if he has been updating which corresponds to Linksys V2.3R63 firmware. If I remember (which has been a while and I'm not good at it), I did have problems with large file transfers with that so I tried the Stock v2.3R76 (v2.3R73 was still messing up) under the files section of this group and was able to transfer an 80 Gb disk image file to an NTFS formatted drive that took over a day. Of course, the other possibilities are to install either some other firmware like Debian, SlugOS, or OpenWrt with Samba3 (Samba2 had issues). To get it all into firmware so that you can use non-ext drives on both ports, you could do a minimal install of OpenWrt with Samba. Or, add a hub with the other distro firmware on a USB stick.
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <yahoo@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hmmm. I wasn't even aware slugOS has a web interface. I use Debian on my NSLU2, but I do have some of the packages on my router. No web interface however. I would suggest trying another transfer protocol to transfer files. The actual limit for FAT32 is 4GiB files, so you aren't hitting a file system limit. Some programs have bugs at the 2GiB limit because the used signed instead of unsigned integers to keep track of the position in file. I don't know of any limits that hit at 1GiB, but that is not to say they don't exist. Typically the code for a web-interface is the least tested, so that is where you are most likely to find a bug.
          > >
          > > Bill

        • Loek Sluijter
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
            Mike,
            This is not a limitation of NSLU2, but this is a standard HTTP limit: max 1GB. Use another method, like FTP or SAMBA to transfer files larger than 1GB.

            Loek Sluijter

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "raheny99" <raheny99@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > I browse to the NSLU web portal and then to the network share and drill down to the avi or mp4 movie file I want. A long click on the chosen file and then I select `Save Link' and then OK to `Save as:'
            >
            > Most times this results in the movie file downloading onto the tablet. Most files copy down onto the table just fine, but as I've started to do this more often in recent weeks (grab a movie to watch in bed on the tablet or when commuting) I've begun to encounter the following issue.
            >
            > After I select Save As.
            >
            > The next screen displays:
            >
            > Download History
            >
            > <Unknown>
            > 192.168.1.77
            > Download unsuccessful.
            >
            > And I'm left with a 1KB file. This appears to happen only with files over 1GB, other movie files I have are 700-900MB and download fine.
            >
            > I manage the content of the HD through Nautilus 2.32 on a Linux netbook and for the most part the drive is used as a samba server delivering content wirelessly to an XBMC Live setup. It has been performing this task flawlessly for nearly a year now.
            >
            > However on my android tablet I have to browse to the web interface for the NSLU and from there onto the shares in order to copy a movie onto the tablet. I have do it this way on the tablet as Android is unable to authenticate to the NSLU shares through ES File Share or Astro file manager or any other SMB app I've tried on the tablet.
            >
            > I think this is due to the fact I do not know the user password for the disk, I am not asked for this on any other PC I have but on the tablet the login prompt ALWAYS appears. I cannot create a new user account on the NSLU as the two 1TB drives attached are formatted as FAT32 and each is nearly half full, so I'm not reformatting them to EXT3 just to be able to create a new user on the NSLU.
            >
            > As I said most files copy down onto the tablet just fine, I've only discovered this issue in the last few weeks as I've started to use the tablet more for watching movies.
            >
            > Some basic troubleshooting steps I've done myself have been to try replicating this with other browsers and on different devices and OS. So far I have replicated this issue on the Tablet with the following browsers:
            >
            > Android stock browser,
            > Dolphin,
            > Skyfire,
            > Firefox,
            > Opera (does not offer "Save Link" option).
            >
            > I have also replicated it under Linuxmint 10 using:
            > Chrome
            > Firefox
            >
            > And also under Windows 7 using:
            > Chrome
            > IE9
            >
            > This would lead me to conclude that there is a limit to the file size one can copy from the web interface of the NSLU?
            >
            > Can anyone shed light on this or give a definitive answer, and if so can this be worked around or altered.

          • oddballhero
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 23, 2011
              I believe the limit varies from server to server and even browser to browser. But, in the case of NSlU2 that is probably the web server limit. In any case the suggestion presented by Loek is correct. That is why I mentioned Samba3 earlier, instead of the current Samba. Which will probably take care of the SMB connect problems:

              > However on my android tablet I have to browse to the web interface for the
              NSLU and from there onto the shares in order to copy a movie onto the tablet. I
              have do it this way on the tablet as Android is unable to authenticate to the
              NSLU shares through ES File Share or Astro file manager or any other SMB app
              I've tried on the tablet.

              (unless your running any Win 98 boxes...nah).

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Loek Sluijter" <lsluijter@...> wrote:

              > Mike,
              > This is not a limitation of NSLU2, but this is a standard HTTP limit: max 1GB. Use another method, like FTP or SAMBA to transfer files larger than 1GB.
              >
              > Loek Sluijter

            • raheny99
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 24, 2011
                Gents,

                With further delving into the workings of Astro file manager I found some advanced settings. By adding the two property keys below to the samba connection the Android tablet can now connect to the share without requiring authentication.

                Key: jcifs.smb.ImCompatibility
                Value: 0

                Key: jcifs.smb.client.useExtendedSecurity
                Value: false

                Problem solved!!!

                Many thanks for your assistance with this, and to Loek for clarifying the root cause.

                Regards,