SlugOS and Python

  • Daniel Berenguer
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2011
      Has anyone experience running Python code on the Slug? I'd like to know whether SlugOS has complete Python packages or not. I have a couple of spare Slugs and I'd like to run a custom program using PIL (Python Image Library) so I guess I need a very functional Python box.

      Thanks for your feedback!

      Daniel.
    • M.J. Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2011
        Running Python successfully was one of the primary reasons I got an NSLU2
        in the first place, 4 years ago (I wanted pytivo running from my Slug to
        share music with my TiVos). It has run flawlessly with Python 2.4.x and
        2.5.x. Newer ipkgs exist, though I've had no reason to upgrade to them.
        I've also successfully run PIL 1.1.6 without any problems.

        In short: the Slug is a very adequate Python box. Highly recommended.

        On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Daniel Berenguer
        <dberenguer@...>wrote:

        > Has anyone experience running Python code on the Slug? I'd like to know
        > whether SlugOS has complete Python packages or not. I have a couple of
        > spare Slugs and I'd like to run a custom program using PIL (Python Image
        > Library) so I guess I need a very functional Python box.
        >
        > Thanks for your feedback!
        >
        > Daniel.

      • Harsh
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2011
          I run Client175 (http://code.google.com/p/client175/) on my Slug. Its basically an mpd client that plays out music from a sound card hooked up to the NSLU2 via a USB hub. It runs rather well, takes up about 20% CPU but there is no discernible degradation in sound quality.I've since moved to Debian Squeeze and it works as well on this OS too (right out of the box).

          Harsh

          ________________________________

          <dberenguer@...>wrote:

          > Has anyone experience running Python code on the Slug? I'd like to know
          > whether SlugOS has complete Python packages or not. I have a couple of
          > spare Slugs and I'd like to run a custom program using PIL (Python Image
          > Library) so I guess I need a very functional Python box.
          >
          > Thanks for your feedback!
          >
          > Daniel.

        • Daniel Berenguer
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 19, 2011