Thermal Shutdown of NSLU2

  • Chris Christou
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21 2:45 PM
      Has anyone seen a NSLU2 Shutdown? If so at what temperature. I have a situation where i think mine is Locking up when the temperaure of the room gets to 34 Degrees, and humiduity of 70%, i live by the sea. however i  am below 40 Degrees C so I assumed it would not have such issues.

    • maik_nospam_reiss
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25 3:53 AM
        If you mean 34 degree "Celsius", no, it does not shut down. Read more below. But if you mean "Fahrenheit", I have no experience.

        I had my two NSLU2s running inside a closed small wooden cabinet (old
        bedroom side box), located in a very small room in the attic. This room also contains the central heating and central hot water tank. Because of the black roof tiles, it reaches 45° degrees in the summertime. Sometimes also 45 in the winter, after the whole family took hot water for the bathtub =:-)
        Note, both NSLU2s have been so hot, the front panels lost the glue and
        bend away. Crazy!

        After 2 years of 24/7 operation with SlugOS/LE 5.3 and each one driving a 1TB external disk, I lost both power supplies within short time.
        *This* was really looking like a *shutdown*. Or sometimes like "shutdown each time I open ssh" or like "shutdown each time I call net use \\server1.home\samba_share". So I repaired the PSUs and moved my whole setup to a northeast windowed storage room in the ground floor. Now they are in an open IKEA cupboard, together with an APC power backup, at 15..21 degree Celsius. The room also contains our very energy efficient freezer. The NSLUs + Disks + UPS + switch + DSL modem are generating more heat then the freezer does, at least for my feeling. Since 9 or 10 month, the new place is running well and the NSLU2s never again got hot or shut down or such.
        I'll move two Sheeva Plugs to the same place soon, curious about the heating of the room, then.

        hope this is nice information and helps somebody,
        Mai K. R.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Chris Christou <jeanluke_cyprus@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone seen a NSLU2 Shutdown? If so at what temperature. I have a situation where i think mine is Locking up when the temperaure of the room gets to 34 Degrees, and humiduity of 70%, i live by the sea. however i  am below 40 Degrees C so I assumed it would not have such issues.

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26 5:53 AM
          The general rule with electronics is the cooler you run it, the longer it lasts. Of course you can get too cool. Resistors, capacitors and other components are generally rated at 20 degrees Celsius. So if you operate electrics at temperatures significantly below that you have the wrong resistance and capacity values. (The same applies to running too hot.) Also, at very cold temperatures frost build-up can be a problem. So I would not stick my NSLU2 in my freezer and expect it to work for long, but I would not hesitate to keep it in a cold room in my basement if I had the electric and internet connections there.

          However, in the end I have had both my NSLU2's long enough that I consider them end of life. All my server functions are now running of my Asus RT-N16 and the NSLU2's simply are my backup servers.

          Bill