File (gdb-6.5.tar.bz2) not exist error when compling package for ddwrt

  • twinclouds2004
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011
      I tried to build some packages for Optware for my ASUS wl500gp router with Tomato. I downloaded the file system by anonymous login and the target I choose is ddwrt. The computer that I used to build the package is Ubuntu 10.04 on VMWare.
      I tried to build toolchain and asterisk18. In both cases, it stopped when downloading the file gdb-6.5.tar.bz2. I got the error that it cannot find the file http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/gdb-6.5.tar.bz2. What happen is that there's only gdb-6.5a.tar.bz2, gdb-6.6.tar.bz2 and etc in the http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/ directory but there's no gdb-6.5.tar.bz2. I don't know if I can modify some make or config files to use 6.5a instead. Please check and help. Thanks in advance.

      P.S. I tried to make asterisk18 for cs08q1armel platform successfully.
    • Ovidiu Sas
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
        Post this kind of question on the nslu2-developers mailing list.

        On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM, twinclouds2004 <twinclouds2004@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I tried to build some packages for Optware for my ASUS wl500gp router with
        > Tomato. I downloaded the file system by anonymous login and the target I
        > choose is ddwrt. The computer that I used to build the package is Ubuntu
        > 10.04 on VMWare.
        > I tried to build toolchain and asterisk18. In both cases, it stopped when
        > downloading the file gdb-6.5.tar.bz2. I got the error that it cannot find
        > the file http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/gdb-6.5.tar.bz2. What happen is that
        > there's only gdb-6.5a.tar.bz2, gdb-6.6.tar.bz2 and etc in the
        > http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/ directory but there's no gdb-6.5.tar.bz2. I
        > don't know if I can modify some make or config files to use 6.5a instead.
        > Please check and help. Thanks in advance.
        >
        > P.S. I tried to make asterisk18 for cs08q1armel platform successfully.

      • Smlacc1
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
          You could either change make/gdb.mk to 6.5a instead of 6.5, or just download the 6.5a version to the packages subdirectory, and then rename it to 6.5. Depending on the name of the tarred folder inside that gdb-6.5a.tar.bz2 file, one of those methods should work.

          Smlacc

          Sent from my iPad

          On 2011-08-31, at 9:28 AM, Ovidiu Sas <osas@...> wrote:

          > Post this kind of question on the nslu2-developers mailing list.
          >
          > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM, twinclouds2004 <twinclouds2004@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I tried to build some packages for Optware for my ASUS wl500gp router with
          > > Tomato. I downloaded the file system by anonymous login and the target I
          > > choose is ddwrt. The computer that I used to build the package is Ubuntu
          > > 10.04 on VMWare.
          > > I tried to build toolchain and asterisk18. In both cases, it stopped when
          > > downloading the file gdb-6.5.tar.bz2. I got the error that it cannot find
          > > the file http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/gdb-6.5.tar.bz2. What happen is that
          > > there's only gdb-6.5a.tar.bz2, gdb-6.6.tar.bz2 and etc in the
          > > http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/ directory but there's no gdb-6.5.tar.bz2. I
          > > don't know if I can modify some make or config files to use 6.5a instead.
          > > Please check and help. Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > P.S. I tried to make asterisk18 for cs08q1armel platform successfully.

        • twinclouds
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
            Thanks.  However, when I checked the gdb.mk file, there is no gdb-6.5.tar.bz2 file.  It was calculated and give the value to GDB_VERSION.  For the second approach, which subdirectory you are talking about.  Could you elaborate further?  Thanks in advance again.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
              Yeah sorry thats what i meant - change gdb_version from 6.5 to 6.5a.

              If not, download the file to the "packages" subfolder and rename it. This may not work though if the Tar file untars to gdb-6.5a. But worth a try if the first method fails.

              Smlacc

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
                Hi, Smlacc1
                Thanks for your direction.  I dowloaded the gdb-6.5a.tar.bz2 file and put it in the ddwrt/downloads/ folder then renamed it to gdb-6.5.tar.bz2.  My compilation proceeded without problem.  I generated the latest asterisk18-6.0 and tested it works.
                I really appreciate your help.
                One more question if you or some can answer, if I want to make changes in one of the source file, is there anyway to do this without using patch files?  Namely, can I directly edit the source file.  How I would be sure that the source file will not be downloaded again when I do a make?
                Thanks in advance.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
                  Yeah, ive done that before too. Untar the file in your downloads directory, and then make the changes to the source there. Then delete the original tar file, and recreate it from the untarred folder ( "tar-xjvf progname-version.tar.bz2 untarredfoldername" if its a bz2 file, "tar-xzvf progname-version.tar.gz untarredfoldername" if its a gzip file). This should preserve the changes you made to the source. Creating a patch file is more flexible, particularly as it may still work for a newer verson of the package etc.

                  Good luck,
                  Smlacc

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2011
                    Smlacc:
                    Thanks.  I am not too familiar with the patch file.  Is it sufficient to diff the two file to generate the diff file, rename it to be a patch file, and then put it in the patch folder?