Samba

  • diego_tech01
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2011
      I was able to get Samba working with help from this site. http://www.pogoplugged.com/forum/thread/15812/Optware-problems-on-Pogoplug-Pro/

      I am unsure if Samba is actually running. SWAT says nmbd is running, but smbd is not running. Even when I start it. Smbstatus displays the following.

      [root@Pogoplug init.d]# smbstatus

      Samba version 2.2.12
      Service uid gid pid machine

      No locked files

      I have added my own user "nobody" and changed the password. I have tried connecting to the server from OSX finder. It asks me for the user/password and the user I created, but it fails.

      So I'm not sure at this point if it's running or not. Or why it won't connect.
    • bruce turrie
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2011
        I don't use SWAT myself, but if smbd isn't running then Samba isn't working. You might try running:

        testparm

        Running testparm is usually a good idea after making changes to samba configuration. In this case it will tell you if you have
        any samba configuration errors that are keeping smbd from running. If so presumably they can be fixed using SWAT or by directly editing:

        /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf

        There are multiple examples of working smb.conf files for pogoplugs on the internet you can compare your file with. There's one here:

        https://turriebuntu.wordpress.com/pogoplugdockstar-pages/add-samba-to-your-pogoplug/

        Other than that I guess I'd need more information before I could help much.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2011
          To check to see if smbd and nmbd is running, Try "ps |grep mbd" or "ps -ef|grep mbd" if you added the extra utils packages. Also there have been problems with samba2, you might want to change to samba3. See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Plugadditions bottom of the page. If you are still having problems, might need a copy of your smb.conf to check, the ps status, the "mount" status, and "df -h".