Re: [nslu2-general] OWW installation

  • GSV_NFA
    Message 1 of 14 , May 17, 2011
      GSV_NFA wrote:

      > David Campbell wrote:
      >>
      >> I am working on a NSLU2 V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta weather station using
      >> OWW. I am needing a copy of libusb - 0.1.12-1 that I can install via
      >> ipkg. If anyone has a copy please let me know. Much appreciated in
      >> advance !
      >>
      > I've hit exactly the same problem when rebuilding my old weather station:
      > a power cut somehow fried the old usb stick so I had to rebuild. I
      > haven't been able to do a wget for the older version number as it comes
      > back as 'Not Found'. Any help most appreciated!
      > Cheers,
      > Gerard

      Scratch that, found it!
      http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk

    • GSV_NFA
      Message 2 of 14 , May 18, 2011
        GSV_NFA wrote:

        > GSV_NFA wrote:
        >>

        >> David Campbell wrote:
        >>>
        >>> I am working on a NSLU2 V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta weather station using
        >>> OWW. I am needing a copy of libusb - 0.1.12-1 that I can install via
        >>> ipkg. If anyone has a copy please let me know. Much appreciated in
        >>> advance !
        >>>
        >> I've hit exactly the same problem when rebuilding my old weather station:
        >> a power cut somehow fried the old usb stick so I had to rebuild. I
        >> haven't been able to do a wget for the older version number as it comes
        >> back as 'Not Found'. Any help most appreciated!
        >> Cheers,
        >> Gerard
        >>

        > Scratch that, found it!
        > http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk

        Double scratch that: ipkg refuses to downgrade for some reason, and I get
        the following:
        ipkg 'multiple packages (libusb and libusb) providing same name marked hold
        or prefer. using latest and no matter what I've tried it stubbornly insists
        on using the 0.1.12-2 version. I've also tried uninstalling libusb and oww,
        then installing libusb 0.1.12-1 then oww, but it still insists on using the
        newer version.

        The ipkg options of -force-downgrade and -force-overwrite appear to be
        ignored! It always finishes with "... using latest version".

      • kc0qir
        Message 3 of 14 , May 18, 2011
          This is what I had encountered. No joy in mudville...

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, GSV_NFA <gsvnofixedabode@...> wrote:

          > GSV_NFA wrote:
          > >

          > > GSV_NFA wrote:

          > >> I've hit exactly the same problem when rebuilding my old weather station:
          > >> a power cut somehow fried the old usb stick so I had to rebuild. I
          > >> haven't been able to do a wget for the older version number as it comes
          > >> back as 'Not Found'. Any help most appreciated!
          > >> Cheers,
          > >> Gerard
          > >>

          > > Scratch that, found it!
          > > http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk
          > >

          > Double scratch that: ipkg refuses to downgrade for some reason, and I get
          > the following:
          > ipkg 'multiple packages (libusb and libusb) providing same name marked hold
          > or prefer. using latest and no matter what I've tried it stubbornly insists
          > on using the 0.1.12-2 version. I've also tried uninstalling libusb and oww,
          > then installing libusb 0.1.12-1 then oww, but it still insists on using the
          > newer version.
          >
          > The ipkg options of -force-downgrade and -force-overwrite appear to be
          > ignored! It always finishes with "... using latest version".
          >
          > --

        • GSV_NFA
          Message 4 of 14 , May 20, 2011
            > # ipkg install -force-reinstall -force-overwrite -force-downgrade
            > http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk
            > Downloading
            > http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk
            > Installing libusb (0.1.12-2) to root...
            > Downloading
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/libusb_0.1.12-2_armeb.ipk
            > Configuring libusb
            > Collected errors:
            > Multiple packages (libusb and libusb) providing same name marked HOLD or
            > PREFER. Using latest.
            > Multiple packages (libusb and libusb) providing same name marked HOLD or
            > PREFER. Using latest.
            > #
            Ok, so ipkg is ignoring its own flags now. This is getting VERY
            frustrating! Exactly where/why does it install 0.1.12-2 ??
          • David Campbell
            Message 5 of 14 , May 20, 2011
              I was wondering if someone could try and recompile under the latest Unslug
              build to fix the issues with the USB access

              I gave up trying to get work around but am concerned if my existing
              installation ever dies that I will be out of business. I am a hacker and not
              a programmer so I rely on the skills and expertise of others.

              Thanks in advance for any support.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 21, 2011
                SUCCESS!!
                I got an email from Simon Melhueish (oww author) who pointed me in the
                direction of the older version of oww:
                http://sourceforge.net/projects/oww/files/oww/0.82.1/
                I then uninstalled the current 83.1 version, installed 82.1 from the above
                link, but still had no luck: the package just stopped responding.
                I then tried downgrading the libusb package again to 0.1.12-1 but still the
                same error and continued to run 0.1.12-2.
                Then the sneaky bit: grabbed the older /opt/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 and
                libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4 files from a backup and copied them into the current
                /opt/lib/ directory and restarted the Slug.
                BY GOLLY IT WORKED! :-) Sluggy now pumping out the weather info once again
                at www.hyland.tk

                Message 7 of 14 , May 22, 2011
                  Any chance you could emai me those two libusb files ?

                  GSV_NFA wrote:

                  > SUCCESS!!
                  > I got an email from Simon Melhueish (oww author) who pointed me in the
                  > direction of the older version of oww:
                  > http://sourceforge.net/projects/oww/files/oww/0.82.1/
                  > I then uninstalled the current 83.1 version, installed 82.1 from the above
                  > link, but still had no luck: the package just stopped responding.
                  > I then tried downgrading the libusb package again to 0.1.12-1 but still
                  > the same error and continued to run 0.1.12-2.
                  > Then the sneaky bit: grabbed the older /opt/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 and
                  > libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4 files from a backup and copied them into the current
                  > /opt/lib/ directory and restarted the Slug.
                  > BY GOLLY IT WORKED! :-) Sluggy now pumping out the weather info once
                  > again at www.hyland.tk
                  >

                  > David Campbell wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I was wondering if someone could try and recompile under the latest
                  >> Unslug build to fix the issues with the USB access

                • swiftarf
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 16, 2013
                    I'm having the same frustration with ipkg and trying to downgrade
                    libusb_0.1.12-2. Would you mind e-mailing me the 2 .so files you used in
                    your workaround please?
                    Thanks,
                    Simon