Re: Another alternative to the SLUG - actually maybe two.

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 25 , May 10, 2011
      Just to add more devices to the brew:
      1. Buffalo Cloudstor - Just read the review at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/31467-new-to-the-charts-buffalo-cloudstor and it seems to indicate that the OS is on a boot partition of the drive. Probably can load a different distribution. This plus SATA interface x 2 and GbE at $135 with 1 drive and USB makes it somewhat attractive.

      2. USB stick PC for $25 - From the guys at plugapps, they had a link to this on their forum:
      http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game-developer-david-braben-creates-a-usb-stick-pc-for-25-2011055/
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 25 , May 11, 2011
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
        > 2. USB stick PC for $25 - From the guys at plugapps, they had a link to this on their forum:
        > http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game-developer-david-braben-creates-a-usb-stick-pc-for-25-2011055/

        So far this is vapour ware. Lack of network connectivity would be a show stopper for me. Although, it looks like you need to connect it to a special hub. As it has the wrong sex USB cable to connect anything directly, and it needs to draw the power from somewhere. So perhaps the special hub has a network plug. If so then this device starts to become interesting. But experience has told me if at the proto-type stage they say $25, the first release will probably be $99, and maybe eventually it will drop to $50.

        The HDMI output seems cool, but given the specifications are not adequate to play videos or such, I think it is more of a gimic than anything.
      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 25 , May 18, 2011
          Got it working with a 3.5" drive using a sata data extension cable. Had to use an external power supply from a usb to sata kit due to no 12V supply from GoFlex. Now got an awesome little server with 2 sata drives. By the way, nice work on your blogs and Debian Lenny machine. I had to modify Doozan's squeeze script, he really needs to update that stuff.