Dlink 624 doesn't work well with NSLU2

  • unix fan
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2005
      Folks: we've seen numerous prior reports that the
      Dlink 624 has problems with the NSLU2. You'll either
      return the NSLU2 or go get a Dlink 624 (I suggest an
      inexpensive Linksys).

      In just this last message digest we see two related
      messages on point:

      > From: "Kevin Wood" <kevinwood@...>
      > Subject: NSLU2 disconnects
      [snip]
      > it periodically disconnects from the network. Can't
      > figure out why.
      [snip]
      > It is connected to a D-Link 624 router/hub,

      And then later we see:

      > From: "j_o_h_n_d_p" <j_o_h_n_d_p@...>
      > Subject: Problems connecting to the web page
      configuration tool
      [snip]
      > ... can never completely set up the unit, it hangs
      > espcieally when configuring shares.
      > The unit is plugged into my DI -624 dlink router

      It's a bad combo.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • mshilly
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2005
        My experience is just the opposite of this. I have had a Netgear
        614, a Belkin 802.11g (forgot which model), and currently a DI-624.

        The worst of the bunch was the Belkin (poor signal strength), then
        the Netgear (constant reboots, didn't work well with DSM-320). I
        find the D-Link DI-624 has the best performance, is most consistent,
        and has the best uptime of the three.

        I have found that none of the three ever had any problems with the
        NSLU2 whatsoever. I ran the TwonkyVision MediaServer 2.4 on the
        NSLU2 over all three wireless routers and the D-Link is by far the
        best of the bunch.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:
        > Folks: we've seen numerous prior reports that the
        > Dlink 624 has problems with the NSLU2. You'll either
        > return the NSLU2 or go get a Dlink 624 (I suggest an
        > inexpensive Linksys).
        >
        > In just this last message digest we see two related
        > messages on point:
        >
        > > From: "Kevin Wood" <kevinwood@y...>
        > > Subject: NSLU2 disconnects
        > [snip]
        > > it periodically disconnects from the network. Can't
        > > figure out why.
        > [snip]
        > > It is connected to a D-Link 624 router/hub,
        >
        > And then later we see:
        >
        > > From: "j_o_h_n_d_p" <j_o_h_n_d_p@y...>
        > > Subject: Problems connecting to the web page
        > configuration tool
        > [snip]
        > > ... can never completely set up the unit, it hangs
        > > espcieally when configuring shares.
        > > The unit is plugged into my DI -624 dlink router
        >
        > It's a bad combo.

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Todd O. Klindt
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2005
          Once I disabled uPNP on my DI-624 and my NSLU2 it became rock
          solid. It has not dropped off once since I did that.

          tk
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:
          > Folks: we've seen numerous prior reports that the
          > Dlink 624 has problems with the NSLU2. You'll either
          > return the NSLU2 or go get a Dlink 624 (I suggest an
          > inexpensive Linksys).
          >
          > In just this last message digest we see two related
          > messages on point:
          >
          > > From: "Kevin Wood" <kevinwood@y...>
          > > Subject: NSLU2 disconnects
          > [snip]
          > > it periodically disconnects from the network. Can't
          > > figure out why.
          > [snip]
          > > It is connected to a D-Link 624 router/hub,
          >
          > And then later we see:
          >
          > > From: "j_o_h_n_d_p" <j_o_h_n_d_p@y...>
          > > Subject: Problems connecting to the web page
          > configuration tool
          > [snip]
          > > ... can never completely set up the unit, it hangs
          > > espcieally when configuring shares.
          > > The unit is plugged into my DI -624 dlink router
          >
          > It's a bad combo.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • j_o_h_n_d_p
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 19, 2005
            This worked perfect!! This now conection is now rock solid and i can
            now transfer files larger than 100k.
            The web configuration tool now works perfectly and the connection
            never drops.
            Even moved a 4GB folder, it took an hour and a half. But it worked.

            Thanks, John

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Todd O. Klindt" <nslu2@k...> wrote:

            > Once I disabled uPNP on my DI-624 and my NSLU2 it became rock
            > solid. It has not dropped off once since I did that.
            >
            > tk
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:
            > > Folks: we've seen numerous prior reports that the
            > > Dlink 624 has problems with the NSLU2. You'll either
            > > return the NSLU2 or go get a Dlink 624 (I suggest an
            > > inexpensive Linksys).
            > >
            > > In just this last message digest we see two related
            > > messages on point:
            > >
            > > > From: "Kevin Wood" <kevinwood@y...>
            > > > Subject: NSLU2 disconnects
            > > [snip]
            > > > it periodically disconnects from the network. Can't
            > > > figure out why.
            > > [snip]
            > > > It is connected to a D-Link 624 router/hub,
            > >
            > > And then later we see:
            > >
            > > > From: "j_o_h_n_d_p" <j_o_h_n_d_p@y...>
            > > > Subject: Problems connecting to the web page
            > > configuration tool
            > > [snip]
            > > > ... can never completely set up the unit, it hangs
            > > > espcieally when configuring shares.
            > > > The unit is plugged into my DI -624 dlink router
            > >
            > > It's a bad combo.

            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • unix fan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 20, 2005
              I went to update the wiki based on the current
              discussion.
              Seems like Question 27 in the FAQ addresses this topic
              already.

              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/FAQ

              [snip]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Todd O. Klindt
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 20, 2005
                Could you edit it to read that shutting uPNP off on the NSLU2 and
                the DLINK will increase the reliablity? Some folks have shut off
                uPNP on just the NSLU2 and still had troubles. Shutting uPNP off on
                the router as well seemed to help.

                tk

              • unix fan
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 21, 2005
                  Consider it done - my first wiki update.
                  Check out the update to the FAQ, question #27.
                  Hopefully this will save some Dlink 624 owners time
                  and frustration.

                  > Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 01:44:08 -0000
                  > From: "Todd O. Klindt" <nslu2@...>
                  > Subject: c
                  >

                  > Could you edit it to read that shutting uPNP off on
                  > the NSLU2 and
                  > the DLINK will increase the reliablity? Some folks
                  > have shut off uPNP on just the NSLU2 and still
                  > had troubles. Shutting uPNP off on
                  > the router as well seemed to help.
                  >
                  > tk
                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan
                  > <unix_fan@y...> wrote:
                  > > I went to update the wiki based on the current
                  > > discussion.
                  > > Seems like Question 27 in the FAQ addresses this
                  > topic
                  > > already.

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • autofree2002