Re: Another alternative to the SLUG (not really): GoFlexNet

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 23, 2011
      Hello Bruce,

      Can't go wrong either way. If you do go with Debian, make sure you use a swap partition, even on a usb flash. Does not really swap that much so you don't have to worry about wear. For the GoFlex just use any old 2.5 inch Sata. You can also buy a Sata extension cable and try connecting it to a 3.5 but I haven't tried it.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, bruce turrie <bturrie@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the tip. I bought the GoFlexNet at OfficeDepot and it works great.
      > Right now I'm using it unmodified (since it comes with samba) to replace a
      > pogoplug gray running optware. Not sure whether to go all the way to debian on
      > the freed-up gray or just put an optware webserver on it.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • bruce turrie
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 29, 2011
        Plugging a bare 2.5 inch sata into the GoFlexNet works great but it flops about a little bit. Also I worried about leaving the circuit board unprotected. I found a soft rubber drive sleeve by SIIG for $4.99 at Frys. Just a little bit of judicious trimming on the corners of the sleeve with an Xacto knife and the now safely covered drive fits snug in the slot.

        ________________________________
        At Office Depot, Seagate GoFlex Net. Now $30.00 USD (or $29.somthing). Basically the same thing as a Dockstar but with two Sata interfaces and one USB instead of 4 USB ports (Dockstar). I can plug my spare 2.5" sata drives directly (without cases) on these interfaces without any problems (have tried WD, Hitachi, and of course Seagate - but not a GoFlex drive). Already set mine up as a Samba, Webdav (lighttpd), and Netatalk (Timemachine) server.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roland" <roland8@...> wrote:

        > $39.99 here in Canada...
        >
        > http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Computers.htm?BreadCrumbs=Computers;Computers;Portable%20Data%20Storage;Hard%20Drives;Pogoplug%20Multimedia&Catalog=Computers&Category=Hard%20Drives&ProductID=4588836&ProductTab=3
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matti Palmström <sjukfan@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 04/15/2011 03:15 AM, oddballhero wrote:
        > > > The V2 Pinky was a redesign in a new package
        > > > (better design since the power supply had better ventilation with 3 more
        > > > usb ports but half the flash).
        > >
        > > Great read. Just saw that pogoplugs are really cheap over at Amazon
        > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033WSDR4?ie=UTF8&tag=plug008-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0033WSDR4
        > > But I really don't need another. I can't really excuse the two slugs and
        > > the dockstar I'm running today :-)
        > >
        > > /M

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 25 , May 10, 2011
          Just to add more devices to the brew:
          1. Buffalo Cloudstor - Just read the review at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/31467-new-to-the-charts-buffalo-cloudstor and it seems to indicate that the OS is on a boot partition of the drive. Probably can load a different distribution. This plus SATA interface x 2 and GbE at $135 with 1 drive and USB makes it somewhat attractive.

          2. USB stick PC for $25 - From the guys at plugapps, they had a link to this on their forum:
          http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game-developer-david-braben-creates-a-usb-stick-pc-for-25-2011055/
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 25 , May 11, 2011
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
            > 2. USB stick PC for $25 - From the guys at plugapps, they had a link to this on their forum:
            > http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game-developer-david-braben-creates-a-usb-stick-pc-for-25-2011055/

            So far this is vapour ware. Lack of network connectivity would be a show stopper for me. Although, it looks like you need to connect it to a special hub. As it has the wrong sex USB cable to connect anything directly, and it needs to draw the power from somewhere. So perhaps the special hub has a network plug. If so then this device starts to become interesting. But experience has told me if at the proto-type stage they say $25, the first release will probably be $99, and maybe eventually it will drop to $50.

            The HDMI output seems cool, but given the specifications are not adequate to play videos or such, I think it is more of a gimic than anything.
          • oddballhero
            Message 5 of 25 , May 18, 2011
              Got it working with a 3.5" drive using a sata data extension cable. Had to use an external power supply from a usb to sata kit due to no 12V supply from GoFlex. Now got an awesome little server with 2 sata drives. By the way, nice work on your blogs and Debian Lenny machine. I had to modify Doozan's squeeze script, he really needs to update that stuff.