Bind was not starting on dockstar power-up. Looks like /opt/etc/init was corrupted

  • bruce turrie
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2011
      I have a dockstar with Optware installed. Following the instructions at the
      nslu2 site I installed bind. It starts fine when I run

      /opt/etc/init.d/S09named start

      I'm using it for the domain server to all the machines on my lan and also for
      web access right now.

      But if I powered it off, bind did not start when I restart the dockstar, neither
      did syslogd but that's not such a problem since it has a hack anyway.

      Looking several lines down in /etc/init.d/rcS, I saw the following two lines:

      /etc/init.d/mount_opt
      /opt/etc/init

      /opt doid get mounted so the first line was working, but it seemed like
      /opt/etc/init was not. At least when I ssh'd into the dockstar and ran

      dig @myipaddress

      It didn't find the server

      When I ran

      /opt/etc/init.d/S09named start

      I saw the server start and

      dig @myipaddress

      worked as it should.

      I looked in the /opt/etc/init file and it looked like it should work. It was
      definitely executable too. On the other hand when I ran

      /opt/etc/init

      from the command line I got

      /opt/etc/init: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

      Then, when I opened /opt/etc/init with nano, it said something about converting
      the file from dos mode. So I saved init to init_old and then recreated the file
      from scratch. Now when I run

      /opt/etc/init

      from the command line, it complains that bind is already running. I think that
      means it's working and the original init file was corrupted somehow.

      I'm sending this email before I restart the dockstar cause I'll lose my DNS and
      perhaps the email when I do.

      .

    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2011
        Hello Bruce,
        I actually use dnsmasq myself instead of bind. Part of the setup you are describing seems to be remnants of Openpogo (or at least their installation, it has the modifications for rcS). I never actually used their actual install because it involved mounting then creating a link for /opt which seemed to be more convoluted than needed. So the mount_opt script is the automounter and then /opt/etc/init starts all the start scripts in /opt/etc/init.d. Make sure that /opt/etc/init is executable, try "chmod 755 /opt/etc/init", or it will not run. You can verify if the scripts in /opt/etc/init.d are run by checking process status "ps" or "ps -ef" depending on whether you are using the Busybox or Optware version respectively. You should see bind running (or any other program).

        I wrote all the above as basically a general troubleshooting/information guide, well actually, before I read the rest of your post. So you were having the old DOS cr-lf newline vs UNIX lf newline problem. You must have created/edited /opt/etc/init with a Windows editor and fixed it with nano. You could have also used the dos2unix utility in /usr/bin/. You should be fine now. Also if you want to be selective of what gets started from /opt/etc/init.d, you can comment out /opt/etc/init from rcS and explicitly call "/opt/etc/init.d/S09named start" at the end of /etc/init.d/mount_opt . I try not to edit rcS too much since you can mess up your system and then it's serial cable time.
        Good Luck!

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, bruce turrie <bturrie@...> wrote:

        > I have a dockstar with Optware installed. Following the instructions at the
        > nslu2 site I installed bind. It starts fine when I run
        >
        > /opt/etc/init.d/S09named start
        >
        > I'm using it for the domain server to all the machines on my lan and also for
        > web access right now.
        >
        > But if I powered it off, bind did not start when I restart the dockstar, neither
        > did syslogd but that's not such a problem since it has a hack anyway.
        >
        > Looking several lines down in /etc/init.d/rcS, I saw the following two lines:
        >
        > /etc/init.d/mount_opt
        > /opt/etc/init
        >
        > /opt doid get mounted so the first line was working, but it seemed like
        > /opt/etc/init was not. At least when I ssh'd into the dockstar and ran
        >
        > dig @myipaddress
        >
        > It didn't find the server
        >
        > When I ran
        >
        > /opt/etc/init.d/S09named start
        >
        > I saw the server start and
        >
        > dig @myipaddress
        >
        > worked as it should.
        >
        > I looked in the /opt/etc/init file and it looked like it should work. It was
        > definitely executable too. On the other hand when I ran
        >
        > /opt/etc/init
        >
        > from the command line I got
        >
        > /opt/etc/init: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
        >
        > Then, when I opened /opt/etc/init with nano, it said something about converting
        > the file from dos mode. So I saved init to init_old and then recreated the file
        > from scratch. Now when I run
        >
        > /opt/etc/init
        >
        > from the command line, it complains that bind is already running. I think that
        > means it's working and the original init file was corrupted somehow.
        >
        > I'm sending this email before I restart the dockstar cause I'll lose my DNS and
        > perhaps the email when I do.
        >
        > .

      • bruce turrie
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2011
          Yeah maybe this was an Openpogo install. Not sure when I switched over to
          Optware. In any event, I'm pretty sure I never edited the /opt/etc/init file at
          all, much less on a windows machine. I'm quite sure I did the initial setup of
          the flash drive from my Ubuntu desktop before moving it to the dockstar. I'm
          thinking maybe the original file had been edited on windows before I got it.
          That's I why I posted here in case someone else had the problem.

          ________________________________
> [...]

          > I saw the server start and
          >
          > dig @myipaddress
          >
          > worked as it should.
          >
          > I looked in the /opt/etc/init file and it looked like it should work. It was
          > definitely executable too. On the other hand when I ran
          >
          > /opt/etc/init
          >
          > from the command line I got
          >
          > /opt/etc/init: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
          >
          > Then, when I opened /opt/etc/init with nano, it said something about converting
          >
          > the file from dos mode. So I saved init to init_old and then recreated the file
          >
          > from scratch. Now when I run
          >
          > /opt/etc/init
          >
          > from the command line, it complains that bind is already running. I think that

          > means it's working and the original init file was corrupted somehow.
          >
          > I'm sending this email before I restart the dockstar cause I'll lose my DNS and

        • oddballhero
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2011
            Probably the init script never worked, I have a feeling everybody that used Openpogo called the start scripts from rcS. At least that's how their guides indicated. Good idea about the post.