Re: [nslu2-general] Auto-power-on and upgrade mode

  • Mike Westerhof
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2011
      adflyer_09 wrote:
      > I'm considering fitting one of the more permanent auto-power-on mods described at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForcePowerAlwaysOn.

      Choose wisely. ;)

      > Once that's fitted, is it still possible to get the slug into upgrade mode (i.e. paper clip in reset hole, apply power, wait 10secs/leds, release reset) or does upgrade entry rely on starting with the power-on button?

      Certainly you can enter upgrade mode with the reset button -- it relies
      on the approx 10 second period from power-up, regardless of the state of
      the power button at power-up.

      > I'm not planning on needing to use the upgrade mode, but it might be necessary if a Debian re-install is needed or something. Hence the answer may dictate using one of the easily removed external mods rather than the intern wire I'm planning (option 6).

      While it's open, you might like to ensure that you have
      "de-underclocked" it as well.

      -Mike (mwester)
    • adflyer_09
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2011
        Thanks for a prompt answer Mike...

        > > I'm considering fitting one of the more permanent auto-power-on mods described at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForcePowerAlwaysOn.
        > >

        > Choose wisely. ;)

        Why's that? I was planning to use Alternative 7 - the simple wire between the power socket and a USB +5v line. Is there more to be said about this?

        > While it's open, you might like to ensure that you have
        > "de-underclocked" it as well.

        Oh, it's already been opened up long ago for that one!

        Cheers,
        Alan.
      • adflyer_09
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2011
          Hey, thanks for your prompt answer. I'd previously replied but the post never appeared, so here it is (roughly) again...

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

          > adflyer_09 wrote:
          > > I'm considering fitting one of the more permanent auto-power-on mods described at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForcePowerAlwaysOn.
          > >

          > Choose wisely. ;)

          Why is there more to it than meets the eye? I was going to go for alternative 7 - the simple wire...

          > While it's open, you might like to ensure that you have
          > "de-underclocked" it as well.

          Oh that was done long ago!