Re: Another alternative to the SLUG

  • allthedecentnameshavegone
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 19, 2011
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > This is an interesting alternative. It looks like you can even run
      > debian on it, but only in a chroot type environment. The lack of a
      > built-in Ethernet port adds a bit to the overall costs, but definitely
      > something worth considering for anyone with a dead NSLU2 that needs
      > replacing.

      I've got a Chumby One. Really like it. I've never really done much with it beyond the out-the-box usage, though.

      My favourite thing is an Easter Egg though - besides being able to start an SSH daemon, as soon as you plug a USB keyboard in you get a working terminal on screen. Tiny font, but actually quite usable.
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 20, 2011
        Of course it looks like none of these alternatives are available in Canada at a reasonable price.

        Recently I have been migrating most of my services off my NSLU2's to my Asus RT16. With DD-WRT the usb support was too flaky to consider, but with tomatoUSB those issues have been resolved. As a router it is great. As a NSLU2 replacement, it is not much of an upgrade. You are not going to install debian natively. So you are limited to Optware, and possibly debian with a chroot environment. Some of the Optware packages, such as the one for Apache do not appear to work. Many others require minor tweaks in their configurations to work.

        Speed wise, the Asus RT16 has a 480 MHz CPU which can overclocked by about 10%. (Actually 480 MHz is the CPU being underclocked.) Depending on how you measure file transfers are about 30-50% faster. Which for me is just enough so I can stream 720P without stutters or skips on my media player. The nicest thing though is the 128MB of ram instead of 32MB found in the NSLU2.

        Bill

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "allthedecentnameshavegone" <irregularshed@...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <yahoo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > This is an interesting alternative. It looks like you can even run
        > > debian on it, but only in a chroot type environment. The lack of a
        > > built-in Ethernet port adds a bit to the overall costs, but definitely
        > > something worth considering for anyone with a dead NSLU2 that needs
        > > replacing.
        >
        > I've got a Chumby One. Really like it. I've never really done much with it beyond the out-the-box usage, though.
        >
        > My favourite thing is an Easter Egg though - besides being able to start an SSH daemon, as soon as you plug a USB keyboard in you get a working terminal on screen. Tiny font, but actually quite usable.

      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 14 12:36 PM
          Time to revisit an old topic:
          The original sheevaplug should be definitely on the list, after looking at all the other options now like the latest pogoplug iterations (which have gone to c**p - decreasing memory,internal wi-fi removed, probably hardware will be phased out and they will sell only software service). The only detriment being ordering it and the power supply (easy enough to replace). Their marketing and distribution really s***s. The guruplug (mine decomposed - the fanless one) and now the Dreamplug (less heat/finger burns but is being recalled due to clock problems) need some redesign/fixin (Quality control definitely an issue).

          A definite contender is the Beagleboard and its iterations (Pandaboard). Great expandability, community, can run OE (Angstrom, probably SlugOS), Debian/Ubuntu, Android, various levels of prices starting at $125-150 depending where you get it (other good thing, available from multiple suppliers, kinda suprising all the variations in pricing and primary configuration).

          Oh, and the lovable Chumby and pals.
        • Gregg C Levine
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 14 2:08 PM
            Hello!
            I had heard that the later designs for what the Sheeva Plug idea suggested
            were being deleted. But I hadn't heard why, except for the pogoplug one,
            that was definitely a comedy of errors.

            Can you cite specific examples online as to why these issues exist?
            ---
            Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
            "This signature is not the same one. Move along! Move along!"

            On
            > Behalf Of oddballhero
            > Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:36 PM
            > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Another alternative to the SLUG: Beagleboard
            >

            > Time to revisit an old topic:
            > The original sheevaplug should be definitely on the list, after looking at
            all the other
            > options now like the latest pogoplug iterations (which have gone to c**p -
            decreasing
            > memory,internal wi-fi removed, probably hardware will be phased out and
            they will
            > sell only software service). The only detriment being ordering it and the
            power supply
            > (easy enough to replace). Their marketing and distribution really s***s.
            The guruplug
            > (mine decomposed - the fanless one) and now the Dreamplug (less
            heat/finger burns
            > but is being recalled due to clock problems) need some redesign/fixin
            (Quality control
            > definitely an issue).
            >
            > A definite contender is the Beagleboard and its iterations (Pandaboard).
            Great
            > expandability, community, can run OE (Angstrom, probably SlugOS),
            Debian/Ubuntu,
            > Android, various levels of prices starting at $125-150 depending where you
            get it
            > (other good thing, available from multiple suppliers, kinda suprising all
            the variations
            > in pricing and primary configuration).
            >
            > Oh, and the lovable Chumby and pals.

          • Richard Hughes
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 14 2:11 PM
              I had the pogoplug v1, the power supply died twice in less than a year, the
              first was warrantied, the 2nd I had to purchase$9.00 for the ps $13.95 for a
              padded envelope and postage!!!! :(

              Pogoplug came through and sent me a free Pogoplug Pro after I squawked
              enough.

            • oddballhero
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 14 5:22 PM
                Well, the V1 is actually a repackaged crippled sheevaplug with cloud engines software (their cloud interface - ooooh), the power supply is basically the same. The V2 was actually a pretty good form factor since it had good heat dissipation but the memory was halved although you go 3 more usb ports (discontinued and being clearanced for $44 at several places). I have several running for over a year without any problems. The Pro with half the memory of the V2 is being discontinued/downgraded (being clearanced for $49 at BestBuy) in favor of the V3 (They got rid of the internal wi-fi along with the internal PCI-E connector that it was plugged in to). With the Pro, should you choose to use it, is an internal sata connector which works pretty well for me (they might get rid of that in the future too since they already got rid of the Internal PCI-E connector to save money).

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hughes <richardhughes260@...> wrote:

                > I had the pogoplug v1, the power supply died twice in less than a year, the
                > first was warrantied, the 2nd I had to purchase$9.00 for the ps $13.95 for a
                > padded envelope and postage!!!! :(
                >
                > Pogoplug came through and sent me a free Pogoplug Pro after I squawked
                > enough.

              • oddballhero
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 14 6:15 PM
                  The original Pogoplug V1 was basically a crippled down Sheevaplug but was easier to purchase. The V2 Pinky was a redesign in a new package (better design since the power supply had better ventilation with 3 more usb ports but half the flash). On this version and the previous, with Jeff Doozan's uboot modifications, you could actually boot a different kernel/rootfs from usb and the 256 MB of RAM was enough to do most things, especially when you came from an NSLU2 background. You could actually do a lot with this and it was easy to buy one. One thing was I never used their connector since it was pretty buggy. There were a lot of problems on their forum but it looked like a combination of their connector problems and that most of the users were noobs who never properly shutdown a Linux system and would corrupt their drives. By the way, a comparison table is available at http://www.plugapps.com/index.php5/Portal:Hardware . The Pogoplug Pro was a departure from the Marvell Kirkwood platform to a PLX Oxford NAS 7820 based platform. I believe they went to this because it was cheaper. But it was also Dual Core compared to the Marvell Kirkwood based ones. They also added an Internal Sata Port and PCI-E with a RT3090 Wi-Fi B/G/N PCI Express Card. So again trade offs. Now they removed the PCI-E and Wifi with the V3 in order to save money again and, probably some time in the future, they will just sell their software or farm out to Buffalo Technology, like their Cloudstor. On another forum, it was surmised that the move may have been due to Globalscale distribution http://plugapps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1024#p5718 . We all know about the literal Globalscale Meltdown with the initial Guruplug to which I was a victim after 2 weeks http://1wt.eu/articles/guruplug-slow-heater/ (pretty good article). I never exchanged mine for the turbine version http://www.myownhomeserver.ch/en/guruplug-fan (eyes rolling up). I was actually looking forward to the Dreamplug although a bit wary since the Guruplug experience (but it looked so good at http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1078.0 ) so I was waiting for some reviews and tada... some were shipped way under clocked http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=5765.msg18571#msg18571, so it never pays to be one of the first. At this point, I am looking at the Beagleboard which seems to have a better distribution and support system, which is what I care about - http://beagleboard.org/. If you want to find out more about the issues, google..., bing...., duckduckgo....

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon@...> wrote:

                  > Hello!
                  > I had heard that the later designs for what the Sheeva Plug idea suggested
                  > were being deleted. But I hadn't heard why, except for the pogoplug one,
                  > that was definitely a comedy of errors.
                  >
                  > Can you cite specific examples online as to why these issues exist?
                  > ---
                  > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                  > "This signature is not the same one. Move along! Move along!"

                • Matti Palmström
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 15 4:12 AM
                    On 04/15/2011 03:15 AM, oddballhero wrote:
                    > The V2 Pinky was a redesign in a new package
                    > (better design since the power supply had better ventilation with 3 more
                    > usb ports but half the flash).

                    Great read. Just saw that pogoplugs are really cheap over at Amazon
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033WSDR4?ie=UTF8&tag=plug008-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0033WSDR4
                    But I really don't need another. I can't really excuse the two slugs and
                    the dockstar I'm running today :-)

                    /M
                  • Roland
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 15 10:48 AM
                      $39.99 here in Canada...

                      http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Computers.htm?BreadCrumbs=Computers;Computers;Portable%20Data%20Storage;Hard%20Drives;Pogoplug%20Multimedia&Catalog=Computers&Category=Hard%20Drives&ProductID=4588836&ProductTab=3

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matti Palmström <sjukfan@...> wrote:

                      > On 04/15/2011 03:15 AM, oddballhero wrote:
                      > > The V2 Pinky was a redesign in a new package
                      > > (better design since the power supply had better ventilation with 3 more
                      > > usb ports but half the flash).
                      >
                      > Great read. Just saw that pogoplugs are really cheap over at Amazon
                      > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033WSDR4?ie=UTF8&tag=plug008-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0033WSDR4
                      > But I really don't need another. I can't really excuse the two slugs and
                      > the dockstar I'm running today :-)
                      >
                      > /M

                    • oddballhero
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 21 1:18 PM
                        At Office Depot, Seagate GoFlex Net. Now $30.00 USD (or $29.somthing). Basically the same thing as a Dockstar but with two Sata interfaces and one USB instead of 4 USB ports (Dockstar). I can plug my spare 2.5" sata drives directly (without cases) on these interfaces without any problems (have tried WD, Hitachi, and of course Seagate - but not a GoFlex drive). Already set mine up as a Samba, Webdav (lighttpd), and Netatalk (Timemachine) server.

                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roland" <roland8@...> wrote:

                        > $39.99 here in Canada...
                        >
                        > http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Computers.htm?BreadCrumbs=Computers;Computers;Portable%20Data%20Storage;Hard%20Drives;Pogoplug%20Multimedia&Catalog=Computers&Category=Hard%20Drives&ProductID=4588836&ProductTab=3
                        >
                        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matti Palmström <sjukfan@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On 04/15/2011 03:15 AM, oddballhero wrote:
                        > > > The V2 Pinky was a redesign in a new package
                        > > > (better design since the power supply had better ventilation with 3 more
                        > > > usb ports but half the flash).
                        > >
                        > > Great read. Just saw that pogoplugs are really cheap over at Amazon
                        > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033WSDR4?ie=UTF8&tag=plug008-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0033WSDR4
                        > > But I really don't need another. I can't really excuse the two slugs and
                        > > the dockstar I'm running today :-)
                        > >
                        > > /M

                      • bruce turrie
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 23 5:39 AM
                          Thanks for the tip. I bought the GoFlexNet at OfficeDepot and it works great.
                          Right now I'm using it unmodified (since it comes with samba) to replace a
                          pogoplug gray running optware. Not sure whether to go all the way to debian on
                          the freed-up gray or just put an optware webserver on it.

                          ________________________________
                          At Office Depot, Seagate GoFlex Net. Now $30.00 USD (or $29.somthing).
                          Basically the same thing as a Dockstar but with two Sata interfaces and one USB
                          instead of 4 USB ports (Dockstar). I can plug my spare 2.5" sata drives
                          directly (without cases) on these interfaces without any problems (have tried
                          WD, Hitachi, and of course Seagate - but not a GoFlex drive). Already set mine
                          up as a Samba, Webdav (lighttpd), and Netatalk (Timemachine) server.

                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roland" <roland8@...> wrote:

                          > $39.99 here in Canada...
                          >
                          >http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Computers.htm?BreadCrumbs=Computers;Computers;Portable%20Data%20Storage;Hard%20Drives;Pogoplug%20Multimedia&Catalog=Computers&Category=Hard%20Drives&ProductID=4588836&ProductTab=3
                          >3
                          >
                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matti Palmström <sjukfan@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On 04/15/2011 03:15 AM, oddballhero wrote:
                          > > > The V2 Pinky was a redesign in a new package
                          > > > (better design since the power supply had better ventilation with 3 more
                          > > > usb ports but half the flash).
                          > >
                          > > Great read. Just saw that pogoplugs are really cheap over at Amazon
                          > >
                          >http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033WSDR4?ie=UTF8&tag=plug008-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0033WSDR4
                          >
                          > > But I really don't need another. I can't really excuse the two slugs and
                          > > the dockstar I'm running today :-)
                          > >
                          > > /M

                        • oddballhero
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 23 1:17 PM
                            Hello Bruce,

                            Can't go wrong either way. If you do go with Debian, make sure you use a swap partition, even on a usb flash. Does not really swap that much so you don't have to worry about wear. For the GoFlex just use any old 2.5 inch Sata. You can also buy a Sata extension cable and try connecting it to a 3.5 but I haven't tried it.

                            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, bruce turrie <bturrie@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks for the tip. I bought the GoFlexNet at OfficeDepot and it works great.
                            > Right now I'm using it unmodified (since it comes with samba) to replace a
                            > pogoplug gray running optware. Not sure whether to go all the way to debian on
                            > the freed-up gray or just put an optware webserver on it.
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • bruce turrie
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 29 12:39 PM
                              Plugging a bare 2.5 inch sata into the GoFlexNet works great but it flops about a little bit. Also I worried about leaving the circuit board unprotected. I found a soft rubber drive sleeve by SIIG for $4.99 at Frys. Just a little bit of judicious trimming on the corners of the sleeve with an Xacto knife and the now safely covered drive fits snug in the slot.

                              ________________________________
                              At Office Depot, Seagate GoFlex Net. Now $30.00 USD (or $29.somthing). Basically the same thing as a Dockstar but with two Sata interfaces and one USB instead of 4 USB ports (Dockstar). I can plug my spare 2.5" sata drives directly (without cases) on these interfaces without any problems (have tried WD, Hitachi, and of course Seagate - but not a GoFlex drive). Already set mine up as a Samba, Webdav (lighttpd), and Netatalk (Timemachine) server.

                              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roland" <roland8@...> wrote:

                              > $39.99 here in Canada...
                              >
                              > http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Computers.htm?BreadCrumbs=Computers;Computers;Portable%20Data%20Storage;Hard%20Drives;Pogoplug%20Multimedia&Catalog=Computers&Category=Hard%20Drives&ProductID=4588836&ProductTab=3
                              >
                              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matti Palmström <sjukfan@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > On 04/15/2011 03:15 AM, oddballhero wrote:
                              > > > The V2 Pinky was a redesign in a new package
                              > > > (better design since the power supply had better ventilation with 3 more
                              > > > usb ports but half the flash).
                              > >
                              > > Great read. Just saw that pogoplugs are really cheap over at Amazon
                              > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033WSDR4?ie=UTF8&tag=plug008-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0033WSDR4
                              > > But I really don't need another. I can't really excuse the two slugs and
                              > > the dockstar I'm running today :-)
                              > >
                              > > /M

                            • oddballhero
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 10, 2011
                                Just to add more devices to the brew:
                                1. Buffalo Cloudstor - Just read the review at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/31467-new-to-the-charts-buffalo-cloudstor and it seems to indicate that the OS is on a boot partition of the drive. Probably can load a different distribution. This plus SATA interface x 2 and GbE at $135 with 1 drive and USB makes it somewhat attractive.

                                2. USB stick PC for $25 - From the guys at plugapps, they had a link to this on their forum:
                                http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game-developer-david-braben-creates-a-usb-stick-pc-for-25-2011055/
                              • Bill
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 11, 2011
                                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
                                  > 2. USB stick PC for $25 - From the guys at plugapps, they had a link to this on their forum:
                                  > http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game-developer-david-braben-creates-a-usb-stick-pc-for-25-2011055/

                                  So far this is vapour ware. Lack of network connectivity would be a show stopper for me. Although, it looks like you need to connect it to a special hub. As it has the wrong sex USB cable to connect anything directly, and it needs to draw the power from somewhere. So perhaps the special hub has a network plug. If so then this device starts to become interesting. But experience has told me if at the proto-type stage they say $25, the first release will probably be $99, and maybe eventually it will drop to $50.

                                  The HDMI output seems cool, but given the specifications are not adequate to play videos or such, I think it is more of a gimic than anything.
                                • oddballhero
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 18, 2011
                                    Got it working with a 3.5" drive using a sata data extension cable. Had to use an external power supply from a usb to sata kit due to no 12V supply from GoFlex. Now got an awesome little server with 2 sata drives. By the way, nice work on your blogs and Debian Lenny machine. I had to modify Doozan's squeeze script, he really needs to update that stuff.