How to solve:

  • trulygilbert
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2011
      Hi there - I just unslung my NSLU2 and had accidentally created a file foo.bar larger than 2GB and got this error when listing the file:

      ls: ./foo.bar: Value too large for defined data type

      I wasn't able to ls or rm at that point.

      The problem appears that ls was compiled with 32bit addressing.

      The solution is to use perl (which is built using 64 bit addressing, downloaded via ipkg)

      perl -e 'unlink("backup.tar");'

      More info here:

      http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/coreutils-faq.html#Value-too-large-for-defined-data-type
    • rolandkbs
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2011
        You can install the coreutils package. The commands of this package (including ls and rm) are able to handle files >2GB.

        Regards, Roland