Slug Ethernet dead, but slug appears functional

  • sdleander
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
      All -

      I have been running unslung for a couple of weeks, and I was following the instructions on how to repair disk errors with fsck (boot times were 4-5 min) and somewhere along the line my Ethernet port died - no Ethernet LED and no access.

      I have tried another cable and port on my switch (no lights there either), tried booting with and without the external HD - it seems to go thru the motions (blinking ready/status, HD access, beeps) - but no Ethernet. It doesn't show up in upslug either (I can get it into upgrade mode).

      Any ideas? Or is it time to get to the serial port? Not sure it's worth the cost to build the TTL/3v3 converter...

      Steve

      P.S. - I had written a bunch of PHP scripts and just backed them up when this occurred - whew!
    • sdleander
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
        Nevermind.... It was just sleeping for 20min or so! The Ethernet light came back on, it forgot it's address (switched back to default 192.168.1.77), I was able to get back in and it's up and running again...

        Steve
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "sdleander" <sleander@...> wrote:

        > All -
        >
        > I have been running unslung for a couple of weeks, and I was following the instructions on how to repair disk errors with fsck (boot times were 4-5 min) and somewhere along the line my Ethernet port died - no Ethernet LED and no access.
        >
        > I have tried another cable and port on my switch (no lights there either), tried booting with and without the external HD - it seems to go thru the motions (blinking ready/status, HD access, beeps) - but no Ethernet. It doesn't show up in upslug either (I can get it into upgrade mode).
        >
        > Any ideas? Or is it time to get to the serial port? Not sure it's worth the cost to build the TTL/3v3 converter...
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > P.S. - I had written a bunch of PHP scripts and just backed them up when this occurred - whew!

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
          I recently accidently updated a router so that it would not respond to the internet when configuring IPV6. However, I had a set of start-up scripts that it ran from USB. So by modifying those scripts, I had it dump out various information about its current state onto the USB stick. It took lots of swapping the USB stick back and forth between my computer and the router, but eventually I managed to debug and correct the problem.

          If your NSLU2 is still reading start-up files from an external disk, or USB stick you can probably do the same to debug the problem. It could be your ethernet is simply dead, but having access to the syslog should tell you that for certain.

          Bill