Cannot clone/copy/backup a disk attached to the NSLU2 running Unslung 6.8 beta?

  • gapmister
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      I'd like to preserve my existing Unslung installation and experiment with some new packages that **might** screw things up. So I'd like to back up the entire disk with a view to plugging in the old one if things go wrong. Simple eh?

      Well - I have tried various different ways of cloning my disk with no success. This is what I did. My source disk is a Western Digital 340GB and my target disk is a Western Digital 2TB.

      On UBUNTU
      1) Ran fsck.ext3 on the source conf and data partition and fixed the errors.
      2) Ensured I could still boot from my source disk and run my applications on the NSLU2
      3) Created 4 new partitions on my 2TB drive, the first 3 exactly the same size as those in the 340GB drive and another (FAT32) to fill the drive.
      4) I used dd to copy the first 2 partitions observing the correct block size. In my case conf was 1024 and data was 4096. I also used the conv=sync,noerror to ensure the process continued if there was an error.
      5) Ran fsck.ext3 on both new conf and data partitions. This ran with no errors and they mounted just fine.
      6) I made the 3rd partition a Solaris swap partition (82H)
      7) Moved the 2TB drive to the NSLU2

      On NSLU2
      1) Booted the NSLU2 with 2TB disk attached
      2) Didn't run in unslung mode! So ....
      3) Booted the NSLU2 without disk attached.
      4) Plugged in the 2TB disk
      5) Ran unsling /disk2. Followed instructions:
      6) Deleted/Renamed /share/flash/data/.unslung
      7) Booted the NSLU2 without disk attached.
      8) Plugged in the 2TB disk
      9) Ran unsling /disk2 (success!!!!)
      10) Entered new password twice.
      11) Ran passwd (maybe unnecessary, but I did it anyway)
      12) Copied the password file to /etc/passwd (or as per instructions for unslinging)
      13) Rebooted

      It still did not run in Unslung mode!!!!!

      Please, please can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong. I am running out of ideas!