Re: unslung devel - ncurses not found?

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
      Did you set the prefix parameter for your configure? There is /opt/include/ncurses/curses.h.

    • nslu2.admin@forestit.co.uk
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
        You have installed the ncurses-dev development libraries and not just the
        standard ones?

        David Mitchell

        <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>

        <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@> wrote:

        > >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set
        out
        > to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
        > three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
        > related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
        > failes, mentioning that:
        > >>
        > >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
        > >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
        > >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
        > >>
        > >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
        > /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in
        various
        > places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all
        of
        > this, it still fails with the above message.
        > >>
        > >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone
        tell
        > me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
        > attempt to compile?
        > >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
        > ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many
        reasons.

      • Anthony Takata
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2011
          Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow it's
          not being found.

          I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that got
          rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
          /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .

          It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me

          ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open

          I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?

          From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>

          wrote:

          > Yeah, that's the weird thing: all of that (and more ) is in my variables.
          > Libncurses is in /opt/lib, but configure complains about curses.h as well,
          > which is part of my confusion. :)
          > On Feb 16, 2011 9:44 AM, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
          > > I thing I might have had the same problems a while back but I just made
          > sure that this was in my profile:
          > > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/opt/usr/lib:/opt/var/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@> wrote:

          > >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set
          out
          > to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
          > three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
          > related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
          > failes, mentioning that:
          > >>
          > >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
          > >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
          > >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
          > >>
          > >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
          > /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in
          various
          > places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all
          of
          > this, it still fails with the above message.
          > >>
          > >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone
          tell
          > me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
          > attempt to compile?
          > >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
          > ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many
          reasons.

        • htwiz2005
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
            Anyone?
            configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...

          • karim kanso
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
              Possibly, your system requires ldconfig to be executed (as root) after
              changing libraries, it will finish installing them if needed.

              On 21 February 2011 08:15, htwiz2005 <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

              > Anyone?
              > configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...
              >

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Takata" <htwiz2002@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow
              > it's
              > > not being found.
              > >
              > > I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that
              > got
              > > rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
              > > /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .
              > >
              > > It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me
              > >
              > > ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot
              > open
              > > shared object file: No such file or directory
              > >

              > > I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?

            • Anthony Takata
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                Ldconfig is not an available command/program.

                <mailto:htwiz2002%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                > Anyone?
                > configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...
                >

                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "Anthony Takata" <htwiz2002@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow
                > it's
                > > not being found.
                > >
                > > I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that
                > got
                > > rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
                > > /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .
                > >
                > > It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me
                > >
                > > ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot
                > open
                > > shared object file: No such file or directory
                > >

                > > I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?
                > >

                > > From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > Subject: RE: [nslu2-general] Re: unslung devel - ncurses not found?
                > >

                > > You have installed the ncurses-dev development libraries and not just
                the
                > > standard ones?
                > >
                > > David Mitchell
                > >
                > > From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto: <mailto:%0b>