Re: [nslu2-general] Re: unslung devel - ncurses not found?

  • Anthony Takata
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
      Yeah, that's the weird thing: all of that (and more ) is in my variables.
      Libncurses is in /opt/lib, but configure complains about curses.h as well,
      which is part of my confusion. :)
      On Feb 16, 2011 9:44 AM, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
      > I thing I might have had the same problems a while back but I just made
      sure that this was in my profile:
      > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/opt/usr/lib:/opt/var/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set out
      to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
      three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
      related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
      failes, mentioning that:

      >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
      >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
      >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
      >>
      >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
      /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in various
      places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all of
      this, it still fails with the above message.

      >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone tell
      me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
      attempt to compile?
      >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
      ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many reasons.

    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
        Did you set the prefix parameter for your configure? There is /opt/include/ncurses/curses.h.

      • nslu2.admin@forestit.co.uk
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
          You have installed the ncurses-dev development libraries and not just the
          standard ones?

          David Mitchell

          <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>

          <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@> wrote:

          > >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set
          out
          > to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
          > three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
          > related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
          > failes, mentioning that:
          > >>
          > >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
          > >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
          > >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
          > >>
          > >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
          > /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in
          various
          > places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all
          of
          > this, it still fails with the above message.
          > >>
          > >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone
          tell
          > me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
          > attempt to compile?
          > >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
          > ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many
          reasons.

        • Anthony Takata
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 18, 2011
            Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow it's
            not being found.

            I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that got
            rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
            /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .

            It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me

            ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open

            I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?

            From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>

            wrote:

            > Yeah, that's the weird thing: all of that (and more ) is in my variables.
            > Libncurses is in /opt/lib, but configure complains about curses.h as well,
            > which is part of my confusion. :)
            > On Feb 16, 2011 9:44 AM, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
            > > I thing I might have had the same problems a while back but I just made
            > sure that this was in my profile:
            > > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/opt/usr/lib:/opt/var/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@> wrote:

            > >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set
            out
            > to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
            > three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
            > related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
            > failes, mentioning that:
            > >>
            > >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
            > >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
            > >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
            > >>
            > >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
            > /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in
            various
            > places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all
            of
            > this, it still fails with the above message.
            > >>
            > >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone
            tell
            > me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
            > attempt to compile?
            > >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
            > ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many
            reasons.

          • htwiz2005
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
              Anyone?
              configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...

            • karim kanso
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                Possibly, your system requires ldconfig to be executed (as root) after
                changing libraries, it will finish installing them if needed.

                On 21 February 2011 08:15, htwiz2005 <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

                > Anyone?
                > configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...
                >

                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Takata" <htwiz2002@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow
                > it's
                > > not being found.
                > >
                > > I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that
                > got
                > > rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
                > > /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .
                > >
                > > It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me
                > >
                > > ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot
                > open
                > > shared object file: No such file or directory
                > >

                > > I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?

              • Anthony Takata
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                  Ldconfig is not an available command/program.

                  <mailto:htwiz2002%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                  > Anyone?
                  > configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "Anthony Takata" <htwiz2002@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow
                  > it's
                  > > not being found.
                  > >
                  > > I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that
                  > got
                  > > rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
                  > > /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .
                  > >
                  > > It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me
                  > >
                  > > ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot
                  > open
                  > > shared object file: No such file or directory
                  > >

                  > > I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?
                  > >

                  > > From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > Subject: RE: [nslu2-general] Re: unslung devel - ncurses not found?
                  > >

                  > > You have installed the ncurses-dev development libraries and not just
                  the
                  > > standard ones?
                  > >
                  > > David Mitchell
                  > >
                  > > From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto: <mailto:%0b>