Re: unslung devel - ncurses not found?

  • oddballhero
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
      I thing I might have had the same problems a while back but I just made sure that this was in my profile:
      export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/opt/usr/lib:/opt/var/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

      > Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set out to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure failes, mentioning that:
      >
      > checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
      > checking for curses.h... (cached) no
      > configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
      >
      > I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in various places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all of this, it still fails with the above message.
      >
      > After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone tell me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my attempt to compile?
      > Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many reasons.

    • Anthony Takata
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
        Yeah, that's the weird thing: all of that (and more ) is in my variables.
        Libncurses is in /opt/lib, but configure complains about curses.h as well,
        which is part of my confusion. :)

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
          Did you set the prefix parameter for your configure? There is /opt/include/ncurses/curses.h.

        • nslu2.admin@forestit.co.uk
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
            You have installed the ncurses-dev development libraries and not just the
            standard ones?

            David Mitchell

            <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>

            <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@> wrote:

            > >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set
            out
            > to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
            > three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
            > related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
            > failes, mentioning that:
            > >>
            > >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
            > >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
            > >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
            > >>
            > >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
            > /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in
            various
            > places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all
            of
            > this, it still fails with the above message.
            > >>
            > >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone
            tell
            > me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
            > attempt to compile?
            > >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
            > ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many
            reasons.

          • Anthony Takata
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 18, 2011
              Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow it's
              not being found.

              I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that got
              rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
              /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .

              It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me

              ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open

              I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?

              From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>

              wrote:

              > Yeah, that's the weird thing: all of that (and more ) is in my variables.
              > Libncurses is in /opt/lib, but configure complains about curses.h as well,
              > which is part of my confusion. :)
              > On Feb 16, 2011 9:44 AM, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
              > > I thing I might have had the same problems a while back but I just made
              > sure that this was in my profile:
              > > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/opt/usr/lib:/opt/var/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>
              <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@> wrote:

              > >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set
              out
              > to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
              > three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
              > related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
              > failes, mentioning that:
              > >>
              > >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
              > >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
              > >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
              > >>
              > >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
              > /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in
              various
              > places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all
              of
              > this, it still fails with the above message.
              > >>
              > >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone
              tell
              > me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
              > attempt to compile?
              > >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
              > ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many
              reasons.

            • htwiz2005
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                Anyone?
                configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...

              • karim kanso
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                  Possibly, your system requires ldconfig to be executed (as root) after
                  changing libraries, it will finish installing them if needed.

                  On 21 February 2011 08:15, htwiz2005 <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

                  > Anyone?
                  > configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Takata" <htwiz2002@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow
                  > it's
                  > > not being found.
                  > >
                  > > I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that
                  > got
                  > > rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
                  > > /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .
                  > >
                  > > It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me
                  > >
                  > > ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot
                  > open
                  > > shared object file: No such file or directory
                  > >

                  > > I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?

                • Anthony Takata
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                    Ldconfig is not an available command/program.

                    <mailto:htwiz2002%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                    > Anyone?
                    > configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...
                    >

                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "Anthony Takata" <htwiz2002@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow
                    > it's
                    > > not being found.
                    > >
                    > > I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that
                    > got
                    > > rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
                    > > /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .
                    > >
                    > > It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me
                    > >
                    > > ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot
                    > open
                    > > shared object file: No such file or directory
                    > >

                    > > I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?
                    > >

                    > > From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Subject: RE: [nslu2-general] Re: unslung devel - ncurses not found?
                    > >

                    > > You have installed the ncurses-dev development libraries and not just
                    the
                    > > standard ones?
                    > >
                    > > David Mitchell
                    > >
                    > > From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto: <mailto:%0b>