unslung devel - ncurses not found?

  • htwiz2005
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 15, 2011
      Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set out to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure failes, mentioning that:

      checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
      checking for curses.h... (cached) no
      configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses

      I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in various places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all of this, it still fails with the above message.

      After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone tell me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my attempt to compile?
      Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many reasons.
    • stripwax
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
        Libraries go in a 'lib' dir (e.g. /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib), not an 'include' dir.
        Usually 'configure' will give you an option telling it where to find libraries if they're not where it expects.. try ./configure --help

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

        > Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set out to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure failes, mentioning that:
        >
        > checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
        > checking for curses.h... (cached) no
        > configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
        >
        > I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in various places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all of this, it still fails with the above message.
        >
        > After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone tell me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my attempt to compile?
        > Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many reasons.

      • Anthony Takata
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
          Unslung dev files are not in either locations. Configure --help does not
          provide a directory it looks in, but does say environment variable can be
          used to specify extra locations. I don't want extra locations because it can
          obviously find files in the normal ones...

          Also, what makes a library files? It says things like "curses.h", which is a
          header file. I thought libraries are .so files...
          On Feb 16, 2011 8:22 AM, "stripwax" <dave@...> wrote:
          > Libraries go in a 'lib' dir (e.g. /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib), not an
          'include' dir.
          > Usually 'configure' will give you an option telling it where to find
          libraries if they're not where it expects.. try ./configure --help

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set out
          to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
          three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
          related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
          failes, mentioning that:

          >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
          >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
          >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
          >>
          >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
          /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in various
          places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all of
          this, it still fails with the above message.

          >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone tell
          me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
          attempt to compile?
          >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
          ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many reasons.

        • oddballhero
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
            I thing I might have had the same problems a while back but I just made sure that this was in my profile:
            export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/opt/usr/lib:/opt/var/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
              Yeah, that's the weird thing: all of that (and more ) is in my variables.
              Libncurses is in /opt/lib, but configure complains about curses.h as well,
              which is part of my confusion. :)

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
                Did you set the prefix parameter for your configure? There is /opt/include/ncurses/curses.h.

              • nslu2.admin@forestit.co.uk
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 16, 2011
                  You have installed the ncurses-dev development libraries and not just the
                  standard ones?

                  David Mitchell

                  <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , Anthony Takata <htwiz2002@...>

                  <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@> wrote:

                  > >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set
                  out
                  > to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
                  > three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
                  > related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
                  > failes, mentioning that:
                  > >>
                  > >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
                  > >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
                  > >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
                  > >>
                  > >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
                  > /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in
                  various
                  > places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all
                  of
                  > this, it still fails with the above message.
                  > >>
                  > >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone
                  tell
                  > me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
                  > attempt to compile?
                  > >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
                  > ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many
                  reasons.

                • Anthony Takata
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 18, 2011
                    Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow it's
                    not being found.

                    I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that got
                    rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
                    /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .

                    It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me

                    ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open

                    I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?

                    From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>

                    wrote:

                    > Yeah, that's the weird thing: all of that (and more ) is in my variables.
                    > Libncurses is in /opt/lib, but configure complains about curses.h as well,
                    > which is part of my confusion. :)
                    > On Feb 16, 2011 9:44 AM, "oddballhero" <oddballhero@...> wrote:
                    > > I thing I might have had the same problems a while back but I just made
                    > sure that this was in my profile:
                    > > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:/opt/usr/lib:/opt/var/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
                    > >
                    > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "htwiz2005" <htwiz2002@> wrote:

                    > >> Apparently htop has disappeared from the package server, and so I set
                    out
                    > to try to get it compiled myself. Unfortunately, after installing about
                    > three different developing packages (cross-native, unslung-devel, and
                    > related) and installing ncurses-dev and ncrusesw-dev, htop's ./configure
                    > failes, mentioning that:
                    > >>
                    > >> checking for refresh in -lncurses... no
                    > >> checking for curses.h... (cached) no
                    > >> configure: error: missing libraries: libncurses
                    > >>
                    > >> I have copied the ncurses directory (originally installed to
                    > /opt/include) to be libncurses as well, and these two folders are in
                    various
                    > places where a directory called "include" can be found, but even with all
                    of
                    > this, it still fails with the above message.
                    > >>
                    > >> After futzing around with this for well over five hours, can anyone
                    tell
                    > me what/where to put the libncurses library file(s) so I can continue my
                    > attempt to compile?
                    > >> Googling has only brought the suggestion "just use the apk-get
                    > ncurses-devel blah blah blah", but this clearly won't work for many
                    reasons.

                  • htwiz2005
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                      Anyone?
                      configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...

                    • karim kanso
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                        Possibly, your system requires ldconfig to be executed (as root) after
                        changing libraries, it will finish installing them if needed.

                        On 21 February 2011 08:15, htwiz2005 <htwiz2002@...> wrote:

                        > Anyone?
                        > configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...
                        >

                        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Takata" <htwiz2002@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow
                        > it's
                        > > not being found.
                        > >
                        > > I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that
                        > got
                        > > rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
                        > > /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .
                        > >
                        > > It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me
                        > >
                        > > ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot
                        > open
                        > > shared object file: No such file or directory
                        > >

                        > > I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?

                      • Anthony Takata
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                          Ldconfig is not an available command/program.

                          <mailto:htwiz2002%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                          > Anyone?
                          > configure doesn't seem to mention where to put my libncurses.so.5 ...
                          >

                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> , "Anthony Takata" <htwiz2002@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Correct, I did ipkg install ncurses-dev. It's in /opt/lib/ but somehow
                          > it's
                          > > not being found.
                          > >
                          > > I was able to copy it to /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/lib, and that
                          > got
                          > > rid of the missing library error, and I had to copy curses.h into
                          > > /opt/armeb/arv5b-softfloat-linux/include .
                          > >
                          > > It appears to compile, but when I try to run it it gives me
                          > >
                          > > ./htop: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot
                          > open
                          > > shared object file: No such file or directory
                          > >

                          > > I'm once again stumped. Just where does it expect these things to be?
                          > >

                          > > From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > Subject: RE: [nslu2-general] Re: unslung devel - ncurses not found?
                          > >

                          > > You have installed the ncurses-dev development libraries and not just
                          the
                          > > standard ones?
                          > >
                          > > David Mitchell
                          > >
                          > > From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto: <mailto:%0b>