ntpclient and setting clock

  • mspohr
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2011
      I'm running SlugOS 5.3 and trying to get the clock to have the correct time (it's stuck in 2005).
      I installed ntpclient using opkg (not ipkg).
      The instructions here:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient
      ... are confusing and seem to refer to unslung only. It says something was fixed in SlugOS (but not the clock, apparently).

      I did create the file S10ntpclient in /opt/etc/init.d as directed on this page but I don't have the unslung directories for the other files. This did not fix the clock... still 2005.

      Any suggestions on how to fix this in SlugOS 5.3?
    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2011
        On 2/8/2011 12:13 AM, mspohr wrote:
        > I'm running SlugOS 5.3 and trying to get the clock to have the correct time (it's stuck in 2005).
        > I installed ntpclient using opkg (not ipkg).
        > The instructions here:
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient
        > ... are confusing and seem to refer to unslung only.

        Yep. Unslung is a completely different beast from any normal Linux
        system - you can't use Unslung directions on anything else. For SlugOS,
        well, it's a normal Linux system -- use any other normal linux reference
        to figure out how to use a package.

        > It says something was fixed in SlugOS (but not the clock, apparently).

        The clock in SlugOS works just fine. The reference is to an ancient bug
        in the Linux kernel that got the clock frequency wrong, so the clock
        drifted. It was fixed in SlugOS, then pushed upstream, and the fix has
        been part of the standard Linux kernel for a long, long time.

        But, to be clear, that fix is only for a clock that drifts -- if yours
        is merely at the *wrong* time, then just set the time in the normal
        Linux fashion. If yours is literally *stuck*, then you may need to take
        more drastic action -- pop the device open, and replace the internal
        battery. See the wiki for instructions.

        > I did create the file S10ntpclient in /opt/etc/init.d as directed on this page but I don't have the unslung directories for the other files. This did not fix the clock... still 2005.

        Right.

        > Any suggestions on how to fix this in SlugOS 5.3?

        Well, start by correcting your clock the normal way. Use the "date"
        command to set the system's idea of the current date and time. Then use
        the "hwclock" command to push the current (now correct) time into the
        hardware clock chip. Take care to note the timezone -- if you followed
        the wiki instructions on how to turnup and configure SlugOS, you have
        set your local timezone, and you'll want to use the '--utc' option to
        "hwclock" so that the hardware clock is set to UTC time (which is the
        right way to do it for Linux machines):

        root@frankenslug:~# date
        Sun Jan 4 12:19:35 CST 2004
        root@frankenslug:~# date '2011-02-08 08:23:00'
        Tue Feb 8 08:23:00 CST 2011
        root@frankenslug:~# date
        Tue Feb 8 08:23:04 CST 2011
        root@frankenslug:~# hwclock --systohc --utc
        root@frankenslug:~# hwclock -r
        Tue Feb 8 14:24:05 2011 0.000000 seconds

        As for ntpclient, I just installed it, and it works out-of-the-box. No
        configuration necessary. It will NOT adjust your hardware clock, though
        - just the system clock. If it fails to do that, then perhaps your
        NSLU2 can't reach the internet (try pinging pool.ntp.org from the
        NSLU2). Or perhaps, like NTP, if you clock is too far off it decides
        that something is too wrong for it to correct, and requires human
        interaction to set the clock at least close to the real time before it
        will adjust it.

        Feel free to add the above instructions to the wiki article so as to
        help the next person who wishes to use ntpclient.

        -Mike (mwester)
      • mspohr
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2011
          Dear Mike,
          Thanks very much for taking the time with this detailed answer. I have been able to make some progress but not yet to the point where ntpclient "just works" ... that would be nice.

          The realization that SlugOS is a normal Linux and not the hybrid beast of UnSlung is important and will help me a lot.

          Once I get this nailed down, I will look into updating the Wiki.

          All the best,
          Mark