Reset IP settings

  • Daniel Berenguer
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2011

      I've recovered an old Slug running SlugOS but I'm not able to remember its IP address so I can't ssh into it. Is there any way to reset the IP settings to some default ones? What if I eraseAll the Slug? Will it revert to a default address?

      Thanks.
    • Mark Spohr
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2011
        I had this problem and apparently it is difficult to reset the IP
        address and options to "default" so it always keeps the old settings.
        I was finally able to figure out the address by looking at my router
        table of connected devices.

        --
        Mark
      • Mike Westerhof
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2011
          Daniel Berenguer wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I've recovered an old Slug running SlugOS but I'm not able to remember its IP address so I can't ssh into it. Is there any way to reset the IP settings to some default ones? What if I eraseAll the Slug? Will it revert to a default address?

          Do NOT use eraseall -- it is far too dangerous. There's a much easier
          and safer way: just install a copy of the Linksys firmware (obtainable
          from the Cisco/Linksys website), and follow the Linksys instructions to
          reset it to factory defaults (which involve holding the reset button in
          for some period of time after it has booted up the Linksys firmware).
          This is a feature of the Linksys firmware; not of any other distro, so
          you have to flash the Linksys firmware.

          If, for some reason, you cannot (or will not) install the Linksys
          firmware, you can follow the wiki article on resetting sysconf - but
          that is not for the faint-of-heart:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ResetSysConf

          -Mike (mwester)
        • Daniel Berenguer
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2011
            Reverting to the stock firmware did not solve the problem since DHCP seemed to be enabled by default. On the other hand I managed to get the IP thanks to the nmap utility.

            nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24

            does a ping scan through the complete 192.168.1.* network.

            Thank you very much!