Re: [nslu2-general] Cheap Dealextreme alternative to the Slug

  • Matti Palmström
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 24, 2011
      On 01/22/2011 09:49 AM, Daniel Berenguer wrote:
      > I found yesterday that Dealextreme sells two hackable NAS, with similar
      > characteristics to the Slug, for less than $40, shipping included:
      >
      > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20383
      > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26320

      Bah! Now I have to buy one of those too :-)
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 25, 2011
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matti Palmström <sjukfan@...> wrote:

        > On 01/22/2011 09:49 AM, Daniel Berenguer wrote:
        > > I found yesterday that Dealextreme sells two hackable NAS, with similar
        > > characteristics to the Slug, for less than $40, shipping included:
        > >
        > > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20383
        > > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26320
        >
        > Bah! Now I have to buy one of those too :-)

        I wouldn't bother. It looks like the only thing that runs reliably on it are busybox based systems. That makes it no more useful than a router that can accept DD-WRT.
      • oddballhero
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
          Got a Pogoplug Pro before Christmas for $72 from TigerDirect. Using Optware to run Asterisk 1.8 and FreePBX 2.8 and simultaneously as a Time Machine (netatalk, avahi, dbus) for Backups. Has PLX 7820 so Dual ARM11, GbE, and Sata, fast.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matti Palmström <sjukfan@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On 01/22/2011 09:49 AM, Daniel Berenguer wrote:
          > > > I found yesterday that Dealextreme sells two hackable NAS, with similar
          > > > characteristics to the Slug, for less than $40, shipping included:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20383
          > > > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26320
          > >
          > > Bah! Now I have to buy one of those too :-)
          > >

          > I wouldn't bother. It looks like the only thing that runs reliably on it are busybox based systems. That makes it no more useful than a router that can accept DD-WRT.

        • Daniel Berenguer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
            Not really,

            it seems that you can chroot to Debian and install apt-get install any app from the Debian repositories.

            There is even the possibility to run Debian from an external usb stick.

            http://groups.google.com/group/dealextreme-nas-/web/test

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
              Good, you can probably chroot to it on the pogoplug with the dual core and run it faster. I was going to try it with OE Ångström.
              You should place the information about SlugOS and Sheevaplug on the wiki. I also had a Guruplug but that went up in a blaze of glory.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
                Can also use Jeff Doozan's uboot http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/ for Pogoplugs, GoFlex, and Dockstars as long as you provide a uImage on /boot. Bring it on, the more, the merrier.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
                  I stand corrected. Although, running as a chroot is hardly satisfactory for my uses, for many that is probably acceptable. As for running from USB, step 2 in the instructions would stop me dead in my tracks:

                  2 - Get a serial interface connected through a RS232-TTL converter. The serial parameters are 38400-N-1. The board have some holes in which the pins can be connected, next to the processor.

                  As soon as they start connecting looking for an RS232-TTL converting and connecting it next to the processor, I see costs going up, as well as flaming wreckage from my attempts to connect something next to the processor with my solder gun.