Re: [nslu2-general] OWW installation

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 23, 2011
      I did get owfs working on the nslu2 running Debian but as I remember it was
      somewhat flaky and I ended up using the digitemp package instead. Not sure if it
      is available for the unslung but it is for Debian. I suspect the source code
      would compile. It does not have the flexibility of owfs but does read the 1wire
      temp sensors and many others. I use it to monitor temps and humidity from a
      remote location via the Internet. It is independent of the file system and I
      have never had a bit of problem with it reading the USB via the 1 wire USB
      adapter. http://www.digitemp.com

      Doug Crompton
      WA3DSP
      www.crompton.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 24, 2011
        kc0qir wrote:
        > The current uNSLUng installation using ipkg provides version libusb - 0.1.12-2. With this installation I cannot get OWW to talk to the USB port properly. I have another machine up and running that is using libusb - 0.1.12-1. So I need to be able to downgrade the package to see if that will fix my issue.

        Ok. Use "ipkg download libusb". Delete the libusb package it
        downloaded; you just need the URL it printed out. The old packages are
        not deleted out of the feed, so if you edit that URL with the version
        you want, you should be able to use wget to fetch the old ipk file.

        Unslung is pretty much dead - have you considered SlugOS or alternate
        firmware?

        -Mike (mwester)

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
        >
        >> On 1/23/2011 11:36 AM, kc0qir wrote:
        >>
        >>> I am working on a NSLU2 V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta weather station using OWW. I am needing a copy of libusb - 0.1.12-1 that I can install via ipkg. If anyone has a copy please let me know. Much appreciated in advance !
        >>>
        >> Is it not in the feeds? Or do you need a special version of that
        >> package for some specific reason?
        >>
        >> -Mike (mwester)

      • GSV_NFA
        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2011
          David Campbell wrote:

          > I am working on a NSLU2 V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta weather station using
          > OWW. I am needing a copy of libusb - 0.1.12-1 that I can install via ipkg.
          > If anyone has a copy please let me know. Much appreciated in advance !

          I've hit exactly the same problem when rebuilding my old weather station: a
          power cut somehow fried the old usb stick so I had to rebuild. I haven't
          been able to do a wget for the older version number as it comes back as 'Not
          Found'. Any help most appreciated!
          Cheers,
          Gerard

          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2011
            GSV_NFA wrote:

            > David Campbell wrote:
            >>
            >> I am working on a NSLU2 V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta weather station using
            >> OWW. I am needing a copy of libusb - 0.1.12-1 that I can install via
            >> ipkg. If anyone has a copy please let me know. Much appreciated in
            >> advance !
            >>
            > I've hit exactly the same problem when rebuilding my old weather station:
            > a power cut somehow fried the old usb stick so I had to rebuild. I
            > haven't been able to do a wget for the older version number as it comes
            > back as 'Not Found'. Any help most appreciated!
            > Cheers,
            > Gerard

            Scratch that, found it!
            http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk

          • GSV_NFA
            Message 5 of 14 , May 18, 2011
              GSV_NFA wrote:

              > GSV_NFA wrote:
              >>

              >> David Campbell wrote:
              >>>
              >>> I am working on a NSLU2 V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta weather station using
              >>> OWW. I am needing a copy of libusb - 0.1.12-1 that I can install via
              >>> ipkg. If anyone has a copy please let me know. Much appreciated in
              >>> advance !
              >>>
              >> I've hit exactly the same problem when rebuilding my old weather station:
              >> a power cut somehow fried the old usb stick so I had to rebuild. I
              >> haven't been able to do a wget for the older version number as it comes
              >> back as 'Not Found'. Any help most appreciated!
              >> Cheers,
              >> Gerard
              >>

              > Scratch that, found it!
              > http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk

              Double scratch that: ipkg refuses to downgrade for some reason, and I get
              the following:
              ipkg 'multiple packages (libusb and libusb) providing same name marked hold
              or prefer. using latest and no matter what I've tried it stubbornly insists
              on using the 0.1.12-2 version. I've also tried uninstalling libusb and oww,
              then installing libusb 0.1.12-1 then oww, but it still insists on using the
              newer version.

              The ipkg options of -force-downgrade and -force-overwrite appear to be
              ignored! It always finishes with "... using latest version".

            • kc0qir
              Message 6 of 14 , May 18, 2011
                This is what I had encountered. No joy in mudville...

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, GSV_NFA <gsvnofixedabode@...> wrote:

                > GSV_NFA wrote:
                > >

                > > GSV_NFA wrote:

                > >> I've hit exactly the same problem when rebuilding my old weather station:
                > >> a power cut somehow fried the old usb stick so I had to rebuild. I
                > >> haven't been able to do a wget for the older version number as it comes
                > >> back as 'Not Found'. Any help most appreciated!
                > >> Cheers,
                > >> Gerard
                > >>

                > > Scratch that, found it!
                > > http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk
                > >

                > Double scratch that: ipkg refuses to downgrade for some reason, and I get
                > the following:
                > ipkg 'multiple packages (libusb and libusb) providing same name marked hold
                > or prefer. using latest and no matter what I've tried it stubbornly insists
                > on using the 0.1.12-2 version. I've also tried uninstalling libusb and oww,
                > then installing libusb 0.1.12-1 then oww, but it still insists on using the
                > newer version.
                >
                > The ipkg options of -force-downgrade and -force-overwrite appear to be
                > ignored! It always finishes with "... using latest version".
                >
                > --

              • GSV_NFA
                Message 7 of 14 , May 20, 2011
                  > # ipkg install -force-reinstall -force-overwrite -force-downgrade
                  > http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk
                  > Downloading
                  > http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/old/8.09_RC1/ixp4xx/packages/libusb_0.1.12-1_armeb.ipk
                  > Installing libusb (0.1.12-2) to root...
                  > Downloading
                  > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/libusb_0.1.12-2_armeb.ipk
                  > Configuring libusb
                  > Collected errors:
                  > Multiple packages (libusb and libusb) providing same name marked HOLD or
                  > PREFER. Using latest.
                  > Multiple packages (libusb and libusb) providing same name marked HOLD or
                  > PREFER. Using latest.
                  > #
                  Ok, so ipkg is ignoring its own flags now. This is getting VERY
                  frustrating! Exactly where/why does it install 0.1.12-2 ??
                • David Campbell
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 20, 2011
                    I was wondering if someone could try and recompile under the latest Unslug
                    build to fix the issues with the USB access

                    I gave up trying to get work around but am concerned if my existing
                    installation ever dies that I will be out of business. I am a hacker and not
                    a programmer so I rely on the skills and expertise of others.

                    Thanks in advance for any support.

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 21, 2011
                      SUCCESS!!
                      I got an email from Simon Melhueish (oww author) who pointed me in the
                      direction of the older version of oww:
                      http://sourceforge.net/projects/oww/files/oww/0.82.1/
                      I then uninstalled the current 83.1 version, installed 82.1 from the above
                      link, but still had no luck: the package just stopped responding.
                      I then tried downgrading the libusb package again to 0.1.12-1 but still the
                      same error and continued to run 0.1.12-2.
                      Then the sneaky bit: grabbed the older /opt/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 and
                      libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4 files from a backup and copied them into the current
                      /opt/lib/ directory and restarted the Slug.
                      BY GOLLY IT WORKED! :-) Sluggy now pumping out the weather info once again
                      at www.hyland.tk

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 22, 2011
                        Any chance you could emai me those two libusb files ?

                        GSV_NFA wrote:

                        > SUCCESS!!
                        > I got an email from Simon Melhueish (oww author) who pointed me in the
                        > direction of the older version of oww:
                        > http://sourceforge.net/projects/oww/files/oww/0.82.1/
                        > I then uninstalled the current 83.1 version, installed 82.1 from the above
                        > link, but still had no luck: the package just stopped responding.
                        > I then tried downgrading the libusb package again to 0.1.12-1 but still
                        > the same error and continued to run 0.1.12-2.
                        > Then the sneaky bit: grabbed the older /opt/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 and
                        > libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4 files from a backup and copied them into the current
                        > /opt/lib/ directory and restarted the Slug.
                        > BY GOLLY IT WORKED! :-) Sluggy now pumping out the weather info once
                        > again at www.hyland.tk
                        >

                        > David Campbell wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I was wondering if someone could try and recompile under the latest
                        >> Unslug build to fix the issues with the USB access

                      • swiftarf
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 16, 2013
                          I'm having the same frustration with ipkg and trying to downgrade
                          libusb_0.1.12-2. Would you mind e-mailing me the 2 .so files you used in
                          your workaround please?
                          Thanks,
                          Simon