Cheap Dealextreme alternative to the Slug

  • Daniel Berenguer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2011
      I found yesterday that Dealextreme sells two hackable NAS, with similar characteristics to the Slug, for less than $40, shipping included:

      I've found these NAS being sold from eBay too.

      There is even a Google group focused in hacking these devices and installing new OS's, including SnakeOS and Debian:
      http://groups.google.com/group/dealextreme-nas-

      A review:
      http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=865139

      It seems that ipkg has been ported for SnakeOS so they should be able to install new apps from external repositories (I don't know which though). For my own apps, I'm trying to guess whether it's possible to cross compile custom code or not.

      Daniel.
    • oddballhero
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2011
        Looks cool, although the $25.00 Dockstar I bought a few months ago looks powerfull compared to this. Can try the cs08q1armel or cs05q3armel repositories.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Berenguer" <dberenguer@...> wrote:

        > I found yesterday that Dealextreme sells two hackable NAS, with similar characteristics to the Slug, for less than $40, shipping included:
        >
        > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20383
        > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26320
        >
        > I've found these NAS being sold from eBay too.
        >
        > There is even a Google group focused in hacking these devices and installing new OS's, including SnakeOS and Debian:
        > http://groups.google.com/group/dealextreme-nas-
        >
        > A review:
        > http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=865139
        >
        > It seems that ipkg has been ported for SnakeOS so they should be able to install new apps from external repositories (I don't know which though). For my own apps, I'm trying to guess whether it's possible to cross compile custom code or not.
        >
        > Daniel.

      • Daniel Berenguer
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 22, 2011
          Of course, but the Dockstar has been discontinued by Seagate AFAIK so $25 is not its real (competitive) price. Even if these NAS devices are manufactured in China, I expected them to stay a bit longer in the market. Besides, my application does not need the power of the Sheevaplugs.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "oddballhero" <avaca@...> wrote:

          > Looks cool, although the $25.00 Dockstar I bought a few months ago looks powerfull compared to this. Can try the cs08q1armel or cs05q3armel repositories.
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Berenguer" <dberenguer@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I found yesterday that Dealextreme sells two hackable NAS, with similar characteristics to the Slug, for less than $40, shipping included:
          > >
          > > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20383
          > > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26320
          > >
          > > I've found these NAS being sold from eBay too.
          > >
          > > There is even a Google group focused in hacking these devices and installing new OS's, including SnakeOS and Debian:
          > > http://groups.google.com/group/dealextreme-nas-
          > >
          > > A review:
          > > http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=865139
          > >
          > > It seems that ipkg has been ported for SnakeOS so they should be able to install new apps from external repositories (I don't know which though). For my own apps, I'm trying to guess whether it's possible to cross compile custom code or not.
          > >
          > > Daniel.

        • oddballhero
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2011
            I wasn't trying to knock them, I apologize if that is how it came across. I think that, that is their strength (made in China) and hopefully will bring these devices down in price. I would like to see more of these devices. With what has been done on the NSLU2 is amazing and can be translated to other devices. For me, it is sad that the Dockstar was discontinued, it was a good little device. Like I said try those two repositories, I've been able to get them to work (one or the other) on most arm devices.
          • Matti Palmström
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 24, 2011
              On 01/22/2011 09:49 AM, Daniel Berenguer wrote:
              > I found yesterday that Dealextreme sells two hackable NAS, with similar
              > characteristics to the Slug, for less than $40, shipping included:
              >
              > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20383
              > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26320

              Bah! Now I have to buy one of those too :-)
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2011
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matti Palmström <sjukfan@...> wrote:

                > On 01/22/2011 09:49 AM, Daniel Berenguer wrote:
                > > I found yesterday that Dealextreme sells two hackable NAS, with similar
                > > characteristics to the Slug, for less than $40, shipping included:
                > >
                > > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20383
                > > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26320
                >
                > Bah! Now I have to buy one of those too :-)

                I wouldn't bother. It looks like the only thing that runs reliably on it are busybox based systems. That makes it no more useful than a router that can accept DD-WRT.
              • oddballhero
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
                  Got a Pogoplug Pro before Christmas for $72 from TigerDirect. Using Optware to run Asterisk 1.8 and FreePBX 2.8 and simultaneously as a Time Machine (netatalk, avahi, dbus) for Backups. Has PLX 7820 so Dual ARM11, GbE, and Sata, fast.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
                    Not really,

                    it seems that you can chroot to Debian and install apt-get install any app from the Debian repositories.

                    There is even the possibility to run Debian from an external usb stick.

                    http://groups.google.com/group/dealextreme-nas-/web/test

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
                      Good, you can probably chroot to it on the pogoplug with the dual core and run it faster. I was going to try it with OE Ångström.
                      You should place the information about SlugOS and Sheevaplug on the wiki. I also had a Guruplug but that went up in a blaze of glory.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
                        Can also use Jeff Doozan's uboot http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/ for Pogoplugs, GoFlex, and Dockstars as long as you provide a uImage on /boot. Bring it on, the more, the merrier.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
                          I stand corrected. Although, running as a chroot is hardly satisfactory for my uses, for many that is probably acceptable. As for running from USB, step 2 in the instructions would stop me dead in my tracks:

                          2 - Get a serial interface connected through a RS232-TTL converter. The serial parameters are 38400-N-1. The board have some holes in which the pins can be connected, next to the processor.

                          As soon as they start connecting looking for an RS232-TTL converting and connecting it next to the processor, I see costs going up, as well as flaming wreckage from my attempts to connect something next to the processor with my solder gun.