Re: USB RAID - sdb keeps failing

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2011
      My experience has been that software raid does not work reliably on NSLU2's for hard drive. The reason being is software raid requires a significant amount of non-swapable memory. You don't have that much memory on an NSLU2 to begin with. Swap does wonders, but when you only have a small amount of physical memory sometimes there is not even enough available to use swap. In which case the kernel will randomly kill processes or halt (depending on your settings) eventually.

      Even worse, try using LVM on couple of 1.5TB drives.... You'll quickly conclude for an LVM you are best off trying to just use raw partitions, and adjust your file allocation stradegy's accordingly.

      Bill