Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Size limit listing files in a directory with ls from cron but not command line

  • Mike Westerhof
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2011
      redgshost wrote:
      > Thank you very much. This works perfectly.
      >
      > If you know I'd be interested to know why the /bin/ls utility is crippled in this way

      One of the coolest tools in the embedded and small-system Linux space is
      busybox -- it combines in a single executable a lot of the basic Linux
      utilities. Busybox has had full support for files > 2GB in size for a
      long time, but not back at the time Linksys was creating the NSLU2. In
      order to maintain full compatibility with the Linksys firmware (and fit
      in the same small flash space), Unslung keeps some of those same basic
      Busybox limitations. Optware doesn't have to live in the onboard flash
      of the NSLU2, and is how you get around the limitations of the built-in
      utilities.

      As the adage goes, the wonder is not in how *well* the bear dances, but
      rather that it dances at all.

      -Mike (mwester)