NSLU2-based NAS through a NAT

  • David Given
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
      I would like to set up a NAS as a remote backup system. The idea is that
      I can connect to it via rsync and copy data back and forth as part of my
      nightly backup regime. As I already have an NSLU2 and some USB hard
      drives, I would like to do this without buying more hardware.

      The only complicating issue is that the remote site is going to be the
      other side of a NAT, so I need some sort of uPnP tunnel to be able to
      connect to it remotely. (Luckily the site has a static IP address.)

      Is there any off-the-shelf firmware that does all this for me, or am I
      going to have to start rolling my own? If so, any suggestions? (Several
      years ago I used Unslung and Debian on my NSLU2 but have lost touch with
      the current state of the project.)

      │ life←{ ↑1 ⍵∨.^3 4=+/,¯1 0 1∘.⊖¯1 0 1∘.⌽⊂⍵ }
      │ --- Conway's Game Of Life, in one line of APL

    • Doug
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
        Dave,

        Debian might be a good choice. I am running Lenny here on an NSLU2 and most
        all of the packages that would practically run on the NSLU2 are available
        through apt-get. Openvpn and openssh, Rsync etc. are probably the ones that
        would work for you. I have never done exactly what you are proposing but it is
        not far out and I am sure others have done it and might give you some ideas.

        Doug Crompton
        WA3DSP
        www.crompton.com