Re: Help "restoring" unslung flash drive

  • Rajesh
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2010
      Hello, thanks.

      I managed to somehow delete enough space to get it back working, though now, the web management interface displays the Samba failure:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FailSambaInformation

      So to give a bit more context, I had my unslung running off USB flash drive on Disk2, and on Disk 1 I had external USB drive which was made available to the network through samba. It was this drive that failed somehow, and turns out, I had some radio programs which I record everyday in a cron, which now started getting recorded on the USB flash drive, eventually filling the space.

      So the main issue I have now is that I cannot set the Primary gateway address through the webpage, and hence the slug cannot connect to the web. I did define a resolv.conf and entries for the DNS server. Can I define a route to the Router as well somehow. I guess, this will keep getting overwritten even if it was possible.

      The wiki lined above seems convoluted in doing a SysConf reset...Any suggestions to make this easy is appreciated. Note my USB flash seems intact other than the System Conf.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rolandkbs" <roland.krebs@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Probably the drive went full, because over the time all free space was used by reallocated bad blocks. However. I wold try the following:
      >
      > 1. put the flash drive on a Linux system (e.g. Knoppix live system) and fix the file system (e2fsck)
      > 2. buy a new flash drive an follow this 'howto': http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/PrepareASpareSystemDiskForMyNSLU2
      >
      > Regards, Roland
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rajesh" <rajeshh_98@> wrote:
      > >
      > > hello:
      > >
      > > I have an unslung nslu2 that uses a flash drive ( maybe 2GB) for a few years. Just last week, I found it was out of space somehow, and the electricity went off the other night, and when I started the nslu2 in the morning, it wouldnt get unslung.
      > >
      > > I tried telnetting and seeing if I can mount the flash drive, but it would not. I unplugged the flash, plugged it back in etc, and now I cant even bring it back up to be able to telnet into.
      > >
      > > Any ideas on how I can mount the flash drive to free some space on it. I dont want to start from scratch because I have a bunch of stuff installed on the flash drive ( asterisk etc).
      > >
      > > TIA

    • Rajesh
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2010
        I have managed to restore the network by adding a route command to the rc.local, and also manually adding a nameserver entry to resolv.conf for the DNS server. I tried adding
        echo "nameserver xx.yy.zz.aa" > /etc/resolv.conf

        but then this would start unslung from internal flash only...

        Found a thread on google, where another guy was trying to add a domain entry to resolv.conf with the same approach, and it worked for him. Well, I will let it be like this for the timebeing.

        Any suggestions again will be appreciated. Thanks