Re: Dead on-board battery??

  • dad2luke
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2010
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dad2luke" <goes_m@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > I was curious what the symptoms are of a dead battery.
      > I have a NSLU2 (running R63 of the COTS software), and it always hangs on the first boot. The if I power cycle it, second boot always works. Restarts always work. I am using externally powered disks so I don't think that it is an issue of current draw from the power supply. I am wonder if something that needs power from the battery is not getting it and is hanging the NSLU2, but after the NSLU2 has been on for a bit the whatever now has power and is happy. Anyone else seen this?
      >
      > Dad2Luke

      I replaced the battery and everything seems fine now. But I am deeply curious what it is so hard to open the case when there is a battery inside that will need replacing in the near future... I nearly broke it.
      Dad2Luke
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2010
        Like most modern electronics it is designed to be as much "throw-away" as possible. Manufactures do not want you doing things like replacing batteries that wear out once a warrantee is expired. They want you to throw it away and buy their latest product.

        Relatively speaking, the NSLU2's are not that hard to open. I have a portable drive I've been trying to figure out a way to open for two years now without breaking anything. Mainly because I'm curious if it is SATA or IDE.

        While you had the NSLU2 open, I hope you too the time to clip the resister to upgrade it's speed.

        Bill

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dad2luke" <goes_m@...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dad2luke" <goes_m@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All,
        > > I was curious what the symptoms are of a dead battery.
        > > I have a NSLU2 (running R63 of the COTS software), and it always hangs on the first boot. The if I power cycle it, second boot always works. Restarts always work. I am using externally powered disks so I don't think that it is an issue of current draw from the power supply. I am wonder if something that needs power from the battery is not getting it and is hanging the NSLU2, but after the NSLU2 has been on for a bit the whatever now has power and is happy. Anyone else seen this?
        > >
        > > Dad2Luke
        > >

        > I replaced the battery and everything seems fine now. But I am deeply curious what it is so hard to open the case when there is a battery inside that will need replacing in the near future... I nearly broke it.
        > Dad2Luke

      • reuter.rudolf
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 13, 2010
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <yahoo@...> wrote:
          I have a portable drive I've been trying to figure out a way to open for two years now without breaking anything. Mainly because I'm curious if it is SATA or IDE.

          Hello Bill,

          Concerning opening the portable drive I might help you. Have a look at:
          http://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki/ExterneFestplatte

          Please translate from German to English via Google language tool.

          Regards, Rudolf
        • dad2luke
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 13, 2010

            > While you had the NSLU2 open, I hope you too the time to clip the resister to upgrade it's speed.

            I have two NSLU2's since the NSLU2 uses a UNIX file system and I don't own another UNIX machines. So I need a spare. I have overclocked one and am seeing if it's happy about it. So far its very happy and does a backup in about 3/4 of the time as before. The other one will get the same treatment in a bit.

            Incidentally, the folks I work with work on surface mount hardware and have a device that's basically heated tweezers and one of our hardware folks had that resistor out of there faster than I can type this message.

            Dad2Luke