Re: [nslu2-general] Ethernet po blem with NSLU2

  • Paul Marwick
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2010
      Mike Westerhof wrote:
      > First thing to try is to follow the steps to enter "upgrade mode" (use
      > the reset button method on the wiki) -- and once you see the correct
      > pattern in the LEDs, see if the upgrade utility (upslug2 or the windows
      > utility) can see the device on the network. This will tell you if the
      > port has failed, or if the software or configuration is an issue.

      :) Thanks for that. I pulled it out of its normal position by the TV,
      dug out a new (short) cat5 cable and connected it to the router. At
      which point, it booted normally..... Grr....
      > If the port seems to be dead even in upgrade mode, the first thing to
      > try is the connector/cable. They do go bad (especially if one has cats
      > in the house! :D).

      Having (painfully) pulled out the 10 metre (nice, new. bought for the
      purpose) CAT5e cable from its carefully laid route, I find it has two
      nice large cuts. I suspect I can blame a large ginger object (currently
      trying to climb into my lap). The calico doesn't eat things that way -
      she's much more ladylike....

      Oh well, I guess I'll have to find another cable and see if I can
      protect it a bit better than the one I'm about to drop into the bin..
      > -- they seem to have a distinct failure mode, which causes all sorts of
      > odd behaviors. The original one is rated at 2 amps -- if you have
      > nothing plugged into the USB ports on the NSLU2 you can easily get by
      > with a 1 amp (or slightly less) unit, which are easier to come by for
      > testing purposes. If that turns out to be the problem, you'll have to
      > find a full 2 amp or more replacement, though.

      I checked the power block. Without load, it puts out 5.07 V, which seems
      a bit low for an unloaded supply. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

      Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions. Now all I need is a way to protect
      the equipment from the wild life

      Paul.