Re: [nslu2-general] Can't access web interface after upslug2 install

  • Mike Westerhof
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2010
      Indeed, it would be nice to have some way to ensure that everything is
      reset -- there is a wiki page on how to clear or reset your sysconf
      partition, but that's a bit involved (and dangerous) and a simpler means
      would be nice. Unfortunately, we are somewhat crippled by lack of
      buttons or controls on the base device (i.e. it would be nice if we
      could do something like "In order to reset all settings to defaults,
      just keep the fribbitz button depressed whilst powering up until you see
      the frabbleneester LED blink three times...").

      On the list of Things To Be Done is the creation of something that would
      address this need. Solutions being considered include:
      a) Create alternate firmware installation images that are identical,
      except that they ignore the saved settings (this doubles the QA effort,
      though).
      b) Create a firmware image that just resets all saved settings and runs
      some basic diagnostics (requires design and creation of an entire new
      custom image).
      c) Create some sort of means to overcome the lack of buttons, perhaps by
      allowing the initial boot image to support a USB keyboard at first boot
      time, and offering the user the ability to clear the settings by (for
      example) holding down the shift key (takes up precious flash space that
      we just don't have to spare).

      Volunteers to work on this?

      -Mike (mwester)

      Mark Spohr wrote:
      > I finally installed SlugOS 5.3 on it and was able to ssh into the system.
      > I'm still confused about what happened with the unslung 6.2 and no web
      > access since I could ping it but not access the server.
      > After I install SlugOS I found that it had been set to dhcp rather than
      > fixed ip.
      >
      > I think it would be useful to have a way to reset the ip settings of the
      > nslu2 to the default factory settings rather than keeping whatever old ip
      > and password settings were in the device before reflashing. After all, if
      > you are reflashing a device, you are trying to start over from scratch and
      > it is not helpful to have old IP and password settings (which you may not
      > know) confusing things.
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > .Mark
      >
      > On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 6:18 AM, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Did you previously change the port number for the web server? Unslung
      >> will honor the saved port number setting, so look for the web server at
      >> the original port number.
      >>
      >> Check your firewall settings on your host as well.
      >>
      >> -Mike (mwester)
      >>
      >> mspohr wrote:
      >>
      >>> I successfully installed the 6.10 beta package using upslug2. It verified
      >>>
      >> and rebooted.
      >>
      >>> However, now I can't access the web interface on my NSLU at 192.168.1.77
      >>> I don't have any external disks attached.
      >>> My ifconfig shows my machine is 192.168.1.64 with a mask of 255.255.255.0
      >>> I can ping 192.168.1.77 and get a reliable response so the machine is
      >>>
      >> there but when I try to access through the browser, I get a "Can't connect
      >> to the server" message for that address.
      >>
      >>> Any suggestions on what I am missing here

    • Mark Spohr
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2010
        Thanks for this detailed answer. I had guessed that there was a good reason
        for keeping the old settings but had no idea it was this complicated to
        reset the settings to default. Anyway, I now thoroughly understand the
        problem and can take steps to prevent future confusion.

        BTW, although I am not a very good programmer, I would think that the the
        option b below (create a separate firmware image that resets the settings to
        default) would probably be the easiest to implement. It may be that this
        would only be run before reflashing a new OS since I imagine that each OS
        version keeps its settings in a unique place and it would be difficult to
        keep track of all of these. This would, nonetheless, be very useful it you
        had a slug with an unknown history and wanted to start fresh. If you are
        upgrading or tweaking a known good system, you should know the configuration
        settings and wouldn't need to reset to default.

        Thanks for all of your help.

        Regards,
        Mark

        --