Dead on-board battery??

  • dad2luke
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
      Hi All,
      I was curious what the symptoms are of a dead battery.
      I have a NSLU2 (running R63 of the COTS software), and it always hangs on the first boot. The if I power cycle it, second boot always works. Restarts always work. I am using externally powered disks so I don't think that it is an issue of current draw from the power supply. I am wonder if something that needs power from the battery is not getting it and is hanging the NSLU2, but after the NSLU2 has been on for a bit the whatever now has power and is happy. Anyone else seen this?

      Dad2Luke
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
        Primary (and only as far as I've ever observed) symptom of a dead
        on-board battery is that the time is always wrong after it's been
        powered off for a while.
        -Mike

        dad2luke wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I was curious what the symptoms are of a dead battery.
        > I have a NSLU2 (running R63 of the COTS software), and it always hangs on the first boot. The if I power cycle it, second boot always works. Restarts always work. I am using externally powered disks so I don't think that it is an issue of current draw from the power supply. I am wonder if something that needs power from the battery is not getting it and is hanging the NSLU2, but after the NSLU2 has been on for a bit the whatever now has power and is happy. Anyone else seen this?
        >
        > Dad2Luke

      • dad2luke
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 12, 2010
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dad2luke" <goes_m@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          > I was curious what the symptoms are of a dead battery.
          > I have a NSLU2 (running R63 of the COTS software), and it always hangs on the first boot. The if I power cycle it, second boot always works. Restarts always work. I am using externally powered disks so I don't think that it is an issue of current draw from the power supply. I am wonder if something that needs power from the battery is not getting it and is hanging the NSLU2, but after the NSLU2 has been on for a bit the whatever now has power and is happy. Anyone else seen this?
          >
          > Dad2Luke

          I replaced the battery and everything seems fine now. But I am deeply curious what it is so hard to open the case when there is a battery inside that will need replacing in the near future... I nearly broke it.
          Dad2Luke
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 13, 2010
            Like most modern electronics it is designed to be as much "throw-away" as possible. Manufactures do not want you doing things like replacing batteries that wear out once a warrantee is expired. They want you to throw it away and buy their latest product.

            Relatively speaking, the NSLU2's are not that hard to open. I have a portable drive I've been trying to figure out a way to open for two years now without breaking anything. Mainly because I'm curious if it is SATA or IDE.

            While you had the NSLU2 open, I hope you too the time to clip the resister to upgrade it's speed.

            Bill

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dad2luke" <goes_m@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dad2luke" <goes_m@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All,
            > > I was curious what the symptoms are of a dead battery.
            > > I have a NSLU2 (running R63 of the COTS software), and it always hangs on the first boot. The if I power cycle it, second boot always works. Restarts always work. I am using externally powered disks so I don't think that it is an issue of current draw from the power supply. I am wonder if something that needs power from the battery is not getting it and is hanging the NSLU2, but after the NSLU2 has been on for a bit the whatever now has power and is happy. Anyone else seen this?
            > >
            > > Dad2Luke
            > >

            > I replaced the battery and everything seems fine now. But I am deeply curious what it is so hard to open the case when there is a battery inside that will need replacing in the near future... I nearly broke it.
            > Dad2Luke

          • reuter.rudolf
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 13, 2010
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <yahoo@...> wrote:
              I have a portable drive I've been trying to figure out a way to open for two years now without breaking anything. Mainly because I'm curious if it is SATA or IDE.

              Hello Bill,

              Concerning opening the portable drive I might help you. Have a look at:
              http://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki/ExterneFestplatte

              Please translate from German to English via Google language tool.

              Regards, Rudolf
            • dad2luke
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 13, 2010

                > While you had the NSLU2 open, I hope you too the time to clip the resister to upgrade it's speed.

                I have two NSLU2's since the NSLU2 uses a UNIX file system and I don't own another UNIX machines. So I need a spare. I have overclocked one and am seeing if it's happy about it. So far its very happy and does a backup in about 3/4 of the time as before. The other one will get the same treatment in a bit.

                Incidentally, the folks I work with work on surface mount hardware and have a device that's basically heated tweezers and one of our hardware folks had that resistor out of there faster than I can type this message.

                Dad2Luke