Re: [nslu2-general] Can't access web interface after upslug2 install

  • Mike Westerhof
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2010
      Did you previously change the port number for the web server? Unslung
      will honor the saved port number setting, so look for the web server at
      the original port number.

      Check your firewall settings on your host as well.

      -Mike (mwester)

      mspohr wrote:
      > I successfully installed the 6.10 beta package using upslug2. It verified and rebooted.
      > However, now I can't access the web interface on my NSLU at 192.168.1.77
      > I don't have any external disks attached.
      > My ifconfig shows my machine is 192.168.1.64 with a mask of 255.255.255.0
      > I can ping 192.168.1.77 and get a reliable response so the machine is there but when I try to access through the browser, I get a "Can't connect to the server" message for that address.
      > Any suggestions on what I am missing here

    • Mark Spohr
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2010
        I finally installed SlugOS 5.3 on it and was able to ssh into the system.
        I'm still confused about what happened with the unslung 6.2 and no web
        access since I could ping it but not access the server.
        After I install SlugOS I found that it had been set to dhcp rather than
        fixed ip.

        I think it would be useful to have a way to reset the ip settings of the
        nslu2 to the default factory settings rather than keeping whatever old ip
        and password settings were in the device before reflashing. After all, if
        you are reflashing a device, you are trying to start over from scratch and
        it is not helpful to have old IP and password settings (which you may not
        know) confusing things.

        Thanks for your help.

        .Mark

        --
        Mark Spohr, MD

      • Mike Westerhof
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2010
          Indeed, it would be nice to have some way to ensure that everything is
          reset -- there is a wiki page on how to clear or reset your sysconf
          partition, but that's a bit involved (and dangerous) and a simpler means
          would be nice. Unfortunately, we are somewhat crippled by lack of
          buttons or controls on the base device (i.e. it would be nice if we
          could do something like "In order to reset all settings to defaults,
          just keep the fribbitz button depressed whilst powering up until you see
          the frabbleneester LED blink three times...").

          On the list of Things To Be Done is the creation of something that would
          address this need. Solutions being considered include:
          a) Create alternate firmware installation images that are identical,
          except that they ignore the saved settings (this doubles the QA effort,
          though).
          b) Create a firmware image that just resets all saved settings and runs
          some basic diagnostics (requires design and creation of an entire new
          custom image).
          c) Create some sort of means to overcome the lack of buttons, perhaps by
          allowing the initial boot image to support a USB keyboard at first boot
          time, and offering the user the ability to clear the settings by (for
          example) holding down the shift key (takes up precious flash space that
          we just don't have to spare).

          Volunteers to work on this?

          -Mike (mwester)

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2010
            Thanks for this detailed answer. I had guessed that there was a good reason
            for keeping the old settings but had no idea it was this complicated to
            reset the settings to default. Anyway, I now thoroughly understand the
            problem and can take steps to prevent future confusion.

            BTW, although I am not a very good programmer, I would think that the the
            option b below (create a separate firmware image that resets the settings to
            default) would probably be the easiest to implement. It may be that this
            would only be run before reflashing a new OS since I imagine that each OS
            version keeps its settings in a unique place and it would be difficult to
            keep track of all of these. This would, nonetheless, be very useful it you
            had a slug with an unknown history and wanted to start fresh. If you are
            upgrading or tweaking a known good system, you should know the configuration
            settings and wouldn't need to reset to default.

            Thanks for all of your help.

            Regards,
            Mark