Re: [nslu2-general] CPAN install on Debian slug

  • Ingo Flaschberger
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
      Dear Peter,

      > My 'install Bundle::CPAN' has been running for over 4 days now, does
      > anyone have any idea how long it will actually take?
      > The slug is de-underclocked (266 bogomips) and I've given it an extra
      > half gig of swap on the USB stick.
      > Anything else I can do to speed things up?

      installing to usb takes really long - try to install at a hard disk and
      also swap to disk.

      copy whole system to disk and then back:
      raw: dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
      or better:
      tar: tar cflp - . | ( cd /mnt ; tar xfvlp - )

      Kind regards,
      Ingo Flaschberger
    • Peter Campion-Bye
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2010
        On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:10:50 +0100 (CET), Ingo Flaschberger <if@...>
        wrote:
        > Dear Peter,
        >
        >> My 'install Bundle::CPAN' has been running for over 4 days now, does
        >> anyone have any idea how long it will actually take?
        >> The slug is de-underclocked (266 bogomips) and I've given it an extra
        >> half gig of swap on the USB stick.
        >> Anything else I can do to speed things up?
        >
        > installing to usb takes really long - try to install at a hard disk and
        > also swap to disk.
        >
        > copy whole system to disk and then back:
        > raw: dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
        > or better:
        > tar: tar cflp - . | ( cd /mnt ; tar xfvlp - )
        >

        > Kind regards,
        > Ingo Flaschberger

        Thanks for the suggestion Ingo, I transferred the contents of the USB
        stick to a mobile disk and the install completed overnight.